Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I need to downgrade a TPM chip from 2.0 (7.63) to 1.2 (6.43); the current Softpack SP81900 only has the 7.62 to 6.43.

Does anyone has the TPM 2.0 (7.63) to TPM 1.2 (6.43) file to use with the utility?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Why do you need to downgrade the firmware?

HP Recommended

THe Elitebook 840 G5 only supports TPM 2.0... TPM 1.2 was supported in previous generations in order to install and use Microsoft Bitlocker on Windows 7. Since the 840 G5 does NOT support Windows 7, it did not make sense to have a TPM 1.2 chip supported

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I need to know how to downgrade the TPM to 1.2 as the 840 G5 I have has a build on it that is 1607 the TPM status puts it to not ready so I cant bit locker it in Win10.  I cannot change or install a later verion of Win10 so if HP can provide steps on how to do this it will be most helpful.  The build I have is going to be updated but not in the short term.

HP Recommended

The HP ELitebook 840 G5 only supports TPM 2.0

Enter the BIOS (Power on and press F10) to check on the TPM status in the Advanced menu... there is no reason you should not be able to set up Microsoft Bitlocer encryption... I would also make sure you have the latest BIOS and system drivers - use HP Image Assistant for this (www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement)

HP Recommended

I have the same issue on the Elitebook 840 G6 with Windows 10 1903.  The only option to use Bitlocker is by using a USB key which is not ideal.  TPM 1.2 allowed you to use a PIN at startup.  The USB key for Bitlocker encryption is essentially useless and obviously HP had identified this in the past as they created the downgrade ability.  

HP Recommended

BPS_IT, there is no way to downgrade systems with ONLY a TPM 2.0 chip to a TPM 1.2 version. The use of a power-on Bitlocker PIN is enabled and disabled via MBAM/Bitlocker GPO's and that has nothing to do with the version of TPM that is on the system. Windows 10 uses the TPM on a device to manage information that is used to encrypt the data on the disks, and has nothing to do with the use, or not, of a PIN at power on

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.