Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 745 G6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an Elitebook 745 G6 Notebook PC connected to a Targus universal USB dock model ACP71USZ-66.  The dock is functioning with no issues, however it is not powering the Elitebook.  The dock is not powering the laptop via USB.  The Targus dock comes with a separate power connector with interchangeable power connectors.  I have confirmed the correct connector is being used, and I have verified the voltage at the plug matches the original power supply, however, when I plug the dock power cable into the laptop, it is not being identified.

I suspect this is a "Smart adapter" issue where HP won't recognize other adapters, but could use some help confirming this, and if there are any workarounds avaialble.

Any help is appreciated.

Randy

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

what do you mean exactly with "The dock is not powering the laptop via USB"  ?

do you mean USB 3.0 or USB-C connector ?

Hp Smart Adapter have 3 connections : +19, ground and a central pin used to do handshake between motherboard and power adapter in order to knwo how many watts the power adapter can supply.

if Targus Barrel connector is missing the central pin, it would not work.

bye

HP Recommended

I just wanted to state that this is not a USB issue, as the USB connection has nothing to do with powering the laptop.

Central pin exists in connector, however, the power cable from the Dock only contains two wires, so it is possible the wattage check may not be occuring

HP Recommended

Hello

Sorry I can't help you more than this.

Probably it's not compatible about suppling power to ELitebook.

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.