Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

The computer can't be turned off

HP Recommended
HP Z Book 17 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello my last Windows update brings me a new feature. My notebook can't be turned off (HDD is still powered, touchpad start screen back to logging on page), can't be sleep on disk (same symptoms), can't be sleep in RAM (the sleep is running, but wakeup kill my graphic, I see noise and must do hard reset).

Only one way is possible to swich off the computer (except power button), I use the command shutdown.

Thank you for any advice,

Martin

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 3
35 31 1 4
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same symptoms! Very annoying. I'm on a Zbook Studio G3.

I think that the sleep/hibernate problems came with Windows 10 Creators Fall Update or the Intel Management Engine security fixes in November. That was about the same time. But I'm not sure.

And I think that the screen problem (noise on the display) after sleep came with BIOS 1.23. In that was "Updates the NVIDIA N17P-Q3 Graphics VBIOS to version 84.06.7A.00.14". But I'm not sure.

Attaching an external screen always help when I get the "noise" problem.

Nothing I've tried have helped. One observation I've made is this:

If I start a cmd (with administrator rights) and run "shutdown /h" in it (this is the same as hibernate), then after log in again I get the result "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.(1450)" in the CMD window.
But I don't know why. There are more with this problem: https://superuser.com/questions/1266178/windows-10-hibernation-insufficient-system-resources

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
35 31 1 4
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the following topic the garbled screen has been solved by a new Intel driver (not from HP):
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Internal-Monitor-Displays-Garbled-Graphics-Upon-Wak...

Remains to fix the hibernate problem...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
35 31 1 4
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Found this thread that solved my hibernate problem: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/79e2eb35-bc07-4975-9e83-070f1d732a9e/unable-to-hib...

The fix requires a BIOS configuration change: under the advanced page > secureboot configuration change "legacy support enable and secure boot disable" to "legacy support disable and secueboot enable (or secureboot can remain disabled)".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi D95ANDEK.

I thank you for the last message. That's the solution! My computer is possible to hibernate or shut down. I will forward the solution to my coleague with the same problem (same computer). 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation