Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp 840 elitebook G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

There is no “INSERT” key on the new 2018 “Hp 840 elitebook G5” series.instead of this missing key, there are new 3 keys and which are absolutely useless.

These useless keys’ functions are;

Turns the screen sharing function on or off.

Answers a call.

Ends a call.

One of this keys can be reassigned as the ınsert key with a bios upgrade, for example “Answers a call.” “ Ends a call.” Functions  can be combined to the same key, like press first time “Answers a call.”, then press second time “Ends a call.” ?

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

I spent a complete afternoon and ended with a headache trying to find the missing key. I own a zbook 14u G5 which, I think, shares almost all the platform with elitebook g5 series. I really need the INS key, my main console manager software paste command = Shift+INS, right now I have to press right click mouse button and choose paste instead of the keyboard shortcut key!! A BIOS update enabling this will be very helpfull.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, the INSERT key is really needed for me!

Please HP, solve this and make it possible to assign Insert to the normal place, i.e. the 2nd key from the right on the top row next to the Delete button (as it has been on HP laptops before).

HP Recommended

Do a search for a program  'SharpKeys' it changes key mappings. Been around for many years. Not sure if it will work

with HP computers.

KenW
HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, it didn't help in this case.

I downloaded and installed SharpKeys and it doesn't help for this particular computer / key.

When trying to add a key and then selecting "Type Key" and pressing the key (the "hangup" key on 840 G5), I get the response "You pressed (E0_1F65)", but when I press OK it opens up a window saying: "You've entered a key that SkarpKeys doesn't know about. Please check the SharpKeys website for an updated release."

HP Recommended

BIOS update would be nice where developers could choose useful keys (insert and print screen and break) instead of useless keys  (replacing function that are perfectley and conviniently and amazingly easyly available in EVERY video chat program) .

I would start a petition and i have 1000 people to sign it within 3 days just from my company to bring INSERT back.

- this is a disaster. It makes our work less efficient.

HP Recommended

I have an HP 840 Elitebook G5 and there you have hidden functions:

So you don't see them on the keyboard.

FN+R = Break

FN+S = Sys Rq

FN+C = Scroll Lock

FN+E = Insert

FN+W = Pause

So CRTL ALT INSERT would be : CTRL+ALT+FN + E 

Regards,

Tristan

HP Recommended

Tristan, thanks for the help.

It's better than nothing. Have you tried the shift+fn+e combo? (did it break your fingers too? 🙂 )

There are wasted manhours because of the missing insert key.
This laptop was not designed for developers - that's for sure.

HP Recommended

Hehe, didn't try that one

But the most important thing is: you have the answer. It's there; but hidden 😉

good Luck,

HP Recommended

Fortunately I managed to found a working solution for this issue. I have found an app, that can remap a hang phone key (End a call) to the insert button. That is Key Remapper by Atnsoft. But configure remapping still is tricky. You should press Hang button to map source, that will be recognized by app as F14. Then you have to change replacing method from "Synchronously" to "On release". And finally you should select "Insert" as replacement key. Other editor should stay unchanged. And after that the Hang key will act as Insert in all application. Also combination like Ctrl-Ins and Shift-Ins will work too.

PS Unfortunately Key Remapper isn't free, but it costs not very much.
PSS I still very upset by the fact that HP placed completely unnecessary buttons (place a call, hang and share screen) instead of usefull (insert, print screen, Pause/Break) without any alternatives.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.