Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I ordered the Thunderbolt G2 120W with speaker dock station for zbook g4 studio, upgraded all drivers, installed g2 dock firmware  but it does not charge my notebook through USB-C port. Audio/video ports work fine.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Adam

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HEllo

Zbook 15 G4 probably has a Power Supply of 150W or 200W , it depends on the CPU and graphics card.

THe 120W Power supply of the TB3 G2 is not enoughtvto provide power to Docking AND Zbook 15 G4.  You had to buy the TB3 with 230W Power Supply. it's another part number.

Bye

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm having the same issue with my ZBook 15 G4, i bought the docking station, everthing works except for charging.

HP Recommended

That is the correct behavior... The USB-C PD (Power Delivery) standard allows up to 100Watts to be delivered via the usb-c cable... Since the ZBook Studio requires more power than allowed, the HP Thunderbolt G2 dock with the 230W supply also comes with a usb-c and barrel connector that together provide docking and power... For The ZBooks in question, the power is sent over the barrel connector while usb-c supports docking functionality... the cable is designed so you can split (pull apart) the barrel connector, and use it as a full dock with power on other commercial systems that require less than 100W

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

If that's the case then why does my x360 15" Radeon get a 100% charge off a 60W USB-C PD battery pack while I'm using the laptop under normal conditions.  If you're at high CPU/GPU utilization then a low power charger could get behind the power curve.  But most of the time we operate at a much lower level and it should just charge.  I'm guessing a BIOS or driver update will fix it in the next few months.

On the product description under "charging" it plainly states that "100W through a single cable, Combo cable for 100-200W"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.