Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Zbook Studio X360 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Previously my notebook decided to update its bios. After that my Thunderbolt dock G2 230W haven't worked with it. The power button on the dock turns on the notebook and charges the battery but nothing else is working (usb, video outputs).

Recently i also updated Thunderbolt docks bios and ran other updates into it that were available.

Anyone else had the same type of issues recently?

Bios is now Q71 Ver. 01.06.03

Notebook product number 2ZC61EA#AK8

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. After I updated the BIOS yesterday my ZBook G5 could no longer connect with the dock. It seems like the problem is with the Thunderbolt port which no longer seems to recognise any devices plugged into it. 

Product no: 2ZC67EA#AK8

HP Recommended

Have you got this issue sorted out somehow? I haven't.

HP Recommended

By default, when the BIOS has not been modified, Thunderbolt device require to be authenticated in Windows to be seen. Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect is the tool that must be run to make the connection and allow it be seen... you would check 'always connect' for each device/dock you are plugging into the system

The other way, is to disable authentication for Thunderbolt in the BIOS setting, which is not recommended due to security concerns for the technology... In this mode, any TB device connected will be seen automatically

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

After talking to the technical support they ended up sending a service technician to replace my motherboard today. That fixed the issue immediately.

HP Recommended

I believe I have found the bug! This is a BIOS bug on the HP Studio G5.

I noticed that although I had the same view as yours and no driver was detected (also, no thunderbolt controller), when I changed the following from Legacy to Native + Low Power Mode the Thunderbolt controller appeared in Device Manager!

I can now see the controller properly through the Secure Connect Utility.

Thunderbolt PCIe Hot plug Mode
*Legacy Mode
Native + Low Power Mode

Since the same setting appears on x360 and zBook G5 (not the Studio) and works fine in Legacy, I believe that this is a BIOS bug.

Let me know if this helps you so HP can take care of this.

Alex

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.