Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have a ZBook 15 G3 with Thunderbolt dock G2 that began popping up a dialog window; "Thunderbolt Software has stopped working" and the icon disappears from the sytem tray.

Downloaded the firmware installer bundle (1.0.52.1) to update just in case that's part of the issue.  Everything updated except the Thunderbolt Controller firmware, that fails.  Current version is 19.1.0.0.4, new version is 33.1.0.0.2.

The previous version of the firmware bundle (1.0.49.1) and it has the same 33.1.0.0.2 bits.

How do I update the Thuderbolt Controller firmware??

Poking around, I also ran into this message; "- For Windows 10 systems, update the Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver to the latest version from HP.com for HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 compatibility." however I cannot find that on HP.com.  I do find what appears to be a G3 version, but no idea if they're compatable or not.

Any suggestions?

-david

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The latest Thunderbolt 3 F/W update for the ZBook 15 G3 is SP92168 (rev  27.1.3.0.1)... you will find it on HP's web site for the laptop downloads or directly form HP FTP at ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Re-read what I wrote. I have a Thunderbolt dock G2 that's Gee Two.  Not G3.

And I have downloaded the "latest" for the Thunderbolt dock G2, I said that as well in my original message.  I also used the only previous version available on the HP.com site, I said that as well.  Both of them fail.

Your ftp link gives a Network Error (tcp_error).

I'm looking for real solutions, not some random "get the latest from the website" answers.

I listed the Thunderbolt Controller firmware versions as well.  There is a big disparity between what's currently on the dock and what's available in the update packages.  Obviously there is an intermediate update step that's needed, and I'm looking for those bits.

-david

HP Recommended

My issue is actually related to this. I started out with Firmware version 19.1.0.0.4 and the update to 33.1.0.0.3 failed. Now, the computer is unable to communicate with the Thunderbolt controller and will not update the firmware. Is there any way to save this dock?

Kenny

HP Recommended

the best course of action, imho, is to open a case with hp support on the dock itself and its s/n, and which might end up being replaced - in the US, you can use 1.866.625.1175 (elite support)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you Dan. I will try that if the update didn't take. This is for a remote user.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.