Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 745 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I work in a large organization where we recently have been rolling out AMD laptops. Specifically the HP 745 G4. I've received lots of complaints from techs and users regarding slow overall performance and hanging. We are deploying Windows 10 Enterprise 1709. Does anyone have a suggestion for a diagnostic tool to help figure out what's going on? I've tried quite a few tools, and have done basic windows troubleshooting but I can't seem to pinpoint why these particular models are so slow. To be clear, not every 745 is slow some work just fine using the same image and drivers, but a large quantity are experiencing issues. We've updated BIOS's, drivers, re-imaged several times and tried many diagnostic tools without any luck in figuring out what's going on. A few guesses, we have rolled out Trend Micro recently but it works fine on most of our 10,000+ machines. Is it possible that the 745 had a bad batch of hardware at some point? Perhaps different motherboard revisions? Any advice is appreciated, I know this is a very broad issue to troubleshoot. Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

In addition I've compared a working 745 with one that's experiencing issues and the only difference I could find was BIOS versions. The working one has P81 01.11 and the other has P81 01.12. Could this be the culprit? Can a BIOS version degrade perfomance? 

Both have the same motherboard versions 8236 KBC 38.3A

Same graphics drivers

I haven't gone through every single driver yet but will if need be

HP Recommended

Same problems on 755 g3. After the June update for Windows things are worse than they've ever been. Even after a clean installation. 

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it's not just us, one of the 745's is getting a new motherboard installed today so we'll see if that makes a difference. 

HP Recommended

I've been reading about similar issues here from  Envy x360's which i believe are AMD based as well in addition to the AMD Elitebooks. I wish HP would do something about this.

HP Recommended

I have a brand new 745 G4 for 30 days and have been complaining about the slowness since getting it. My previous laptop was 4 years old and performed much better than this new PC.  

I'm a DXC employee and recently migrated from HPE to DXC environment and things have got even worse!  

I have no apps open other than Chrome typing this message and I'm typing faster than the text is appearing on screen. When I launch an app like Outlook or Skype Business, it takes 5-10 minutes for it to open and settle down for use. 

Very frustrating to try and get any work done. Am running Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 OS build 16299.492.

Everything is slow, there isnt a single problematic area. 

I'm going to look at the BIOS updates mentioned here, but if anyone else has some suggestions or diagnostic tools to try I would appreciate the guidance.

HP Recommended

We have hundreds of these in our organization. We ended up having the motherboard replaced on one of them, and so far so good! I have another one getting the board replaced today or tomorrow will let you know if that's been working. Maybe HP had a bad batch of motherboards? I compared the new board model to the original and the model #'s match so I'm still not sure what would be different. Perhaps not a version thing though. This is not a great fix obviously but we may not have much choice unless HP comes out with some sort of patch if it can be fixed via software. 

HP Recommended

Seeing the same issues here. Was there ever any resolution?

We've just deloyed about 40 745 laptops running the latest version of Windows 10 Enterprise and using the .12 BIOS. Applications, typing, browsing, etc. can all take minutes time.

HP Recommended

No solution yet unfortunately. So far I've done 5 motherboard replacements, and 2 of those seem to fix the issues the other 3 are still experiencing slowness. I'm going to try Windows 7 for fun to see if I'm experiencing the same issues. Still a mystery as to what's causing it. I'm guessing it's a mixture of bad hardware and drivers. Diagnostics never show any errors.

HP Recommended

Bah, disappointing. Part of me is thinking this has to do with the AMD processor not playing well with either the mobo or BIOS. 

I can't find a common demoninator on the issue, as I first thought it was a driver issue, then a Windows 10 issue, then a power/dock issue. Nothing seems to fix the problem completely.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.