Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8530w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP community,

I am trying to turn off pre-boot security on my elitebook 8530w that has been upgraded to windows 10 64 bit. I seem to remember turning it on through the HP ProtectTools security manager suite, but it seems that no longer works on windows 10 (I tried anyway and used a system restore to undo it after error messages). I could not find a toggle directly in the bios settings. 

A version of the HP protect tools interface can be seen in this image (youtube video from hpbizanswers HP )

source - hpbizanswers HPsource - hpbizanswers HP

The newer “HP Client Security Manager” (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Windows-10-HP-Protect-Tools-Hel...) does not seem to recognize my existing settings. It asks to set up SpareKey, but I'm pretty sure that has been done. I can skip that, but I do not see any option to turn off preboot security.

Client security screen.png

Does anyone know how to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In the end i just temporarily reinstalled windows 7 and HP protect tools to turn off the preboot security  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

In the end i just temporarily reinstalled windows 7 and HP protect tools to turn off the preboot security  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.