FrederikB
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

UEFI Boot order (Elitebook 745)

HP Recommended
Elitebook 745 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did boot my Elitebook with an Ubuntu Live CD which was written for EFI boot. All well.

Hooked up an external USB Hard drive and installed Ubuntu on it, from that Live CD. I know what I am doing so I did install the boot loader on that external /dev/sdb or so drive.

From then on, rebooting the laptop with the USB HD directly boots Ubuntu. Reparing the grub menu brings back the Windows option in the ubuntu startup menu, although I need to enter the Bitlocker key with that boot option.

Rebooting the laptop without the external HD however results in grub> .

I researched the topic and although I can theoretically fix that grub, the point is, in the BIOS setup, I found that UEFI- ubuntu sits at the top of the list while UEFI - Windows boot comes second. So the BIOS tries to find that ubuntu while it is not there but apparently the grub responds, so it takes that 'dead end'.

In the BIOS there is an option to change the UEFI boot order but it is greyed out.. So it effectively blocks my option for a normal (Windows, unattended) and occasionally (F9 and select boot device) other boot option.

BTW I've got legacy disabled and secure boot disabled.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation