Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Eliterbook 1040 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

CURRENT STATUS SUMMARY (so you don't have to scroll through everything): Everything is as up to date as possible, as assured by Windows Update, HP Support Assistant, and HP Image Assistant. Motherboard replaced. Problem still persists. Happens with left or right USB-A ports.

I have an Elitebook 1040 G4. When it is plugged into a power source--either its power supply or a dock--it works great.

When the laptop is not plugged into a power source, any devices plugged into the USB A ports intermittently drop, then are quickly re-detected, then are functional again within 1-3 seconds. During this, you hear the expected chimes for device removal then device insertion. The devices stop working between these chimes.

The devices that this has happened with are two identical Plantronics headsets, a Logitech mouse, and a Razer mouse. All use a USB A dongle.

This computer is running Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2. It has all drivers and updates recommended by Windows Update and HP Support Assistant. It has no unusual software. This also happened when I had Windows 10 2004 installed a few months ago. I personally reinstalled Windows for this laptop, using the option for a fresh start/don't retain any data.

I do not see any events in the Windows "System" log that correspond to these unwarranted USB A disconnects/reconnects.

The laptop just had its motherboard replaced under warranty, under suspicion that was the cause. It also had the screen replaced for unrelated reasons.

The laptop is reliable other than for this one issue.

I am unclear what else could be checked.

I do not know if the problem also happens with USB C. I note USB A above because that is the only device type that I have this problem with. While I am gradually shifting to USB C devices, currently the only time they are connected to the laptop is indirectly, through the dock.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

While WU and Support Assistant are OK, in your case, i recommend you use HP Image Assistant to make sure all drivers and BIOS are up to date. It will recommend what is needed based on factory tested images. HP IA is the tool recommended for ALL HP Commercial devices

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you. It found two critical updates--with minor version differences--and 13 recommended updates, including an update for "Generic USB Hub".

I am surprised at some of these. For example, I have HP Support Assistant 8.8.34.31 installed, and it says it is the latest version, yet the Image Assistant says I need to update to 9.6.703.0.

I will get all these installed and report back after a while.

HP Recommended

for HP business/commercial systems, trust HP Image Assistant more. it doesn't require installation and can be run from its folder, or even a usb key

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you again.

I've gone through everything and noticed significant glitches:

• Intel Management Engine Components: sp110990 is a "recommended" update for Intel Management Engine Components (it shows up twice, once for Intel Active Management Technology - SOL (COM3) and once for Intel Management Engine Interface #1). The driver sees what I already have on the system and offers for me to remove or repair. Going through repair does not fix. Looks like I need to remove then reinstall. What I see:
    novasource_0-1606944210187.png
  • HP Support Assistant: Says I have 8.8.34.31 installed, and recommends 9.6.703.0 (sp107298). The installer says #nope because I have newer version installed. I think I figured it out. HP has a dual versioning system for HP Support Assistant, and this 9.6.x corresponds to an older 8.8.x than what I have installed:
    novasource_1-1606944343855.png
  • System Default Settings for Windows 10: sp100994 is bad. It doesn't kick off setup.exe.
  • Generic USB Hub: sp88999 allegedly updates my 10.0.19041.264 driver to 1.2.3.14. Huh? Weird version number. It runs a firmware updater for my dock. Despite installing, the version number does not update, so it perpetually indicates a false need to upgrade.
HP Recommended

Final assessment on HP Image Assistant:

• Even after using sp110990 to uninstall and then install the Intel Active Management Technology drivers, it still reports as out of date.
  • Generic USB Hub update does not "register" with Image Assistant.
  • HP Support Assistant will always show as out of date due to data problem mentioned in prior post.

I guess the good thing is I am down from many outdated things to just one. Crossing fingers that this helps with the USB devices dropping out issue!

HP Recommended

Update: I rebooted and am on battery now. I have the Logitech USB-A dongle plugged in. I am listening to repeated tones of the device being removed and inserted, even though it's just sitting there.

I appreciate you sharing the HP Image Assistant with me. Regrettably, even after using it to get as up to date as possible, problem still persists.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.