AndreaPol
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

USB-C port working ONLY with Hard Disk

HP Recommended
HP ProBook 430 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every peripheral i connect to USB-C port using an USB hub or using an adapter from  USB-C to USB3.0   is not reconized, except for hard disks.

I tried different adapters and hubs, i tried different devices such mice, scanners, printers, USB memory sticks.  All of them work if connected to USB 3.0  ports, but they dont work if connected to the USB-C port.

Portable hard disk works correctly in the same condition.

3 REPLIES 3
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One thought occurs that might be significant here: are all the non-working devices USB 2.0 (or earlier) and the working hard disk USB 3.0 (or later)? These two families of devices use different pins on the USB-C port and have some different electronics inside the computer.

The hard disk, assuming it is a modern one, will be USB 3.0 or later. The mice will probably be USB 1.1. The scanners and printers may well be USB 2.0. The memory stick will depend on how recent it is; newer premium memory sticks have USB 3.0 or later support, but there are still a lot of USB 2.0 sticks around.

Are there any devices in Device Manager showing a yellow exclamation point?

0 Kudos
AndreaPol
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer.

All the "non working" devices are  USB 2.0 or earlier, i did not notice this.

This does not happen on other PCs, useing the same HUB and the same devices.

Ther are no exclamtion point(!)  on  Device Manager;  I updated  every driver and windows.

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yours is not the only post I've replied to recently where the user had USB 3 but not USB 2/1.1 functionality on a USB-C port. Unfortunately I can't find that thread to check whether they had the same model as you.

I believe your notebook is fairly new and likely under warranty. If you are under warranty I would contact HP Support in your country to discuss what to do next about the lack of USB 2 and 1.1 functionality on your USB-C port. Your issue is likely either a bug in the system firmware (BIOS etc.) or system board failure.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation