Ray199
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

USB-C travel Dock - intermittent USB-C connector

HP Recommended
Elitebook 1030 X360 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing the drivers for the new travel dock per instructions provided, dock began to work with ethernet and HDMI through travel dock.   USB connections did not work.   (Dock is p/n 839032-101)

Uninstalled drivers and re-installed same version. Travel dock is not recongnized by laptop.  

Light on travel dock is intermittently on... have to hold USB-C connector at a certain angle for light to stay on, then ethernet connection can be established, but no video connection to HDMI monitor.  

Is this related to any known driver issues, or do I have defective / intermittent travel dock hardware?

4 REPLIES 4
Support01
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, we have got the same problem with the Travel Dock and ProBook 450 G3. Not sorted yet.

0 Kudos
lkindem
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue on a HP Spectre X360 - seems the dock is resetting the connection or something. Windows recongnize all the HW connected to it, but it keeps resetting - does not work.

Please advice!

/lars

0 Kudos
AlexJamesHaines
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am certain that if you open up the end of the connector you would find that the soldered ribbon cable has snapped. It has virtually no support. A really poor design as even under light use mine has failed within a 18 months.

0 Kudos
fawgcutter
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you're talking about the HP 839032-101 travel dock, mine just failed last month. I think it's due to the cable not having a strain relief where it enters the case. That ribbon cable you wrote about is so thin that it's no surprise that it's faling from regular flexing. I would flex mine and it would start working again just for a short time. REALLY IRRITATING as I can see on this forum that HP has not responded to you so far. We. as HP customeers, spent so much money on these docks only to get something that won't last more than a year beyond warranty. HP should provide an improved replacement cable with a strain relief at the case end as that's where the cable gets the most flexing. From what I can tell, the cable can be replaced with just a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of tweezers to lift the ribbon connector lock.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation