2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

USB hard drive reconnects

HP Recommended
HP Pro X2 612 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dears,

I have problem with my HP Pro X2 612 G1 after connecting external USB drive  (seagate expansion 1tb) to one of keyboard usb ports, windows 10 is unbale to find device, after changeing Power plan settings to "turn of hdd after 3 mins to 0" on line power and battery, system started detect disc drive, but it reconnect drive all the time.

Hard drive is working properly when is connected directly to the tablet usb port avoiding keyboard.

BR 

Amadeusz

3 REPLIES 3
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

An external hard drive is a power hungry device that will not run off an unpowered USB hub or other USB port with a limited power supply. I expect that the ports in your x2's keyboard are supplied by an unpowered hub and/or have a limited power supply because of the limitations of the connector between the keyboard and computer. However, I am not familiar enough with the hardware of your particular computer to be certain of the limitations in the keyboard USB port(s).

You must do one of:

• connect the hard drive direct to external power (if the hard drive has such a facility), which will allow it to work with a USB port with limited power available
  • connect the hard drive direct to the computer, or
  • connect the hard drive to a powered hub.
0 Kudos
ama_g
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Many thanks for your answer, as i mentioned before the Seagate drive is working fine as long as is connected driectly to the "tablet", i have tried to use other usb drive from Western Digital (WD elements), and is working fine with tablet as well as with keyboard.

Seagate causes also one more interesting behavior; as i wrote above when i plug in it to one of the keyboard usb ports it falls in to infinite reconnect loop, then if i unppluged it it was impossible to connect also WD elements device. it looks like usb hub was hanged, to resolve it i had to change power plan to other and get back to the previous one.

May be it will also help, I discovered that both drives worked fine after Windows 10 restoration to factory defaults (and previously) but after last Windows 10 update stopped, i have tried to find out what exactly was updated but with no joy:(

Br 

Amadeusz

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would not be surprised if the Seagate drive draws slightly more power than the WD drive and was always rather marginal in the keyboard USB port. It might be that something about software versions has changed the behaviour, but I think it is likely coincidence. USB controller drivers are infrequently updated, though it is conceivable there was some sort of regression. I'm sceptical because usually the power behaviour of USB ports is purely down to the hardware not the software.

I simply wouldn't want to rely on that Seagate drive connected to the keyboard USB port under any circumstances - it is marginal at best and you don't want data corruption on your drive. Indeed, I would always connect external hard drives that do not have an external power supply directly to the computer or to a powered USB hub, not to the keyboard - it might be inconvenient but better that than to find crucial data has been corrupted or you've suffered hardware damage.

I am not surprised the Seagate drive is hanging the keyboard USB port after it fails. USB controllers are designed to shut down a port that appears to be malfunctioning. There are various ways of recovering the situation other than the one you have found - shut down and restart is one, a reboot may well work, also undocking and redocking the keyboard might work (depending on how the USB hardware is split between the computer and the keyboard).

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation