Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Unknown

I have an EliteBook 850 with UltraSlim Dock 2013.

Please see Front Side in this parts list for reference: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03958282

It got knocked off a table while connected and the two metal springloaded docking posts and the plastic tubes holding them in place broke completely off, with a clean break leaving just the flat surface (see Front Side part 1 in that parts list).

It seems to still line up fine and stay in a pretty fixed position just by virtue of the "locking mechanism" posts (Front Side part 2 in that parts list), even without engaging any kind of locking action on my part with the laptop (which I don't seem to have anyway).

Is that okay? Do the spring-loaded metal posts (Front Side part 1) do anything other than help with initial alignment? There's no connection, I'm sure -- it's apparently just mechanical alignment. I assume this is perfectly fine. I just make sure to have it aligned over the locking mechanism posts (Front Side part 2) before I slide the side connector (Front Side part 3) into position.

It should be perfectly fine, right?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the only connection to the laptop from the dock is the right side connector that slides in... the bottom 2 posts are for alignment, and the sliding hooks are for keeping the laptop straight... if docking functionality is fine, then you are good to go

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

the only connection to the laptop from the dock is the right side connector that slides in... the bottom 2 posts are for alignment, and the sliding hooks are for keeping the laptop straight... if docking functionality is fine, then you are good to go

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.