Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Howie411
Level 2
15 11 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Unable to access data on NVME M.2 Drivers Pre Windows for backing up.

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know how to I can access the new NVME hard drivers in the HP 650 G3 and other newer machines for data backup in a pre-boot enviroment?   I've tried using such tools as Knoppix and such but the drive is never displayed.   This worked fine with the SATA laptops and some of the older M.2 NGFF models.   I'm unable to see the drive at all with the newer NVME M.2 on numerous machines.

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,814 32,714 2,976 7,308
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Howie411

You don't mention WHAT tools you want to use, but Knoppix is a Linux tool.

Since HP does not provide consumer support for Linux, you would do better in various Linux support forums -- if your intent is to use Linux tools.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Howie411
Author
Level 2
15 11 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I honestly don't care what program I use.  I just need to be able to get the data off the disk somehow.   Any program I use to boot to a pre-windows enviroment would work.  The hard drive just doesn't show up.   I'm guessing because the computer doesn't know how to load the NVME drive.

I've also tried McAfee's EE Tech software and I used to be able to drop to a DOS enviroment with it and do a WIM, but I can't see the drive anymore with that software either.

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,814 32,714 2,976 7,308
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Howie411

I only mention Linux because those boot disks/USB sticks might not have the drivers needed to utilize NVMe drives; whereas, current Windows disk/USB sticks are more likely to have those drivers.

IF you have access to a working Windows PC, then my suggestion is to download and install a third-party utility known as Macrium Reflect, and then use the option to create boot media from that: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

That will create a WinPE Boot Disk/USB stick and that might be able to see the NVMe drive.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation