Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 3 (1,020 Views)

Unable to boot from USB pen drive

Hi, My company just got a new batch of HP Elitebook 840 G3 laptops with just DOS on them. Normally I use a bootable USB stick to deploy our OS on both desktops and laptops and it works just fine. However, the issue that I am facing with these laptops is that I am unable to view the stick when I do a list disk in disk part (We use the imagex procedure). The stick is visible when I go to the Boot Menu Options by pressing F10 and the opening of the cmd prompt proves that the machine is booting at startup from the stick. I have toggled with both Legacy and UEFI modes but still the issue persists. This machine is 6th Gen Core I-5. TPM version is 1.2 and is turned on. Legacy support is enabled. Please help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 3 (890 Views)

Re: Unable to boot from USB pen drive

your issue seems to be pretty common for customers that have been using older versions of WinPE when attempting to boot and use newer hardware

What WinPE version are you using? if not WinPE 10, i recommend recreating your usb boot media key with this version

Did you check the "Configure Legacy Support and Secure Boot" option in the BIOS Advanced menu? what is the setting?

It looks like your WinPE is booting, is that correct?

What is on the WinPE? you do not mention it

Are you trying to install WIndows 7 or Windows 10?

What id the actual issue?

HP systems come with a Windows version. The only way to get a commercial system (as far as i know) with DOS installed is to tell HP you would be installing a NON-Windows system on the product. Otherwise, this might violate the Terms and Conditions from Microsoft. Just be aware

I work for HP. All opinions and comments are my own.
Student
Message 3 of 3 (488 Views)

Re: Unable to boot from USB pen drive

Hi,

Am using winpe 10 and trying to boot via usb in the model HP 840 G3

Able to see the USB in the boot option while hitting F9 and if am trying to boot it keep showing the screen wmpty for some minnutes and restarting/Shut down.

Tried with the below settings chage and the factory settings. But its not helping out. pls suggest if any. 

Settings.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation