Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Undocking Elitebook 820

Elitebook 820 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I recently purchased an Elitebook 820 G3 and Ultraslim Docking station. Everything works great. Im experiencing an issue when undocking and not sure if its user error or something not working right.

If I undock the machine it never goes to sleep. I'll undock and put the machien in my bag to leave for the day and when i get home to battery has run down and the machine hasn't gone to sleep. I assumed that when i undocked the machine would default to the sleep settings and after the set time the machine would go to sleep. Is this the expected operation or do i need to set the machine to goto sleep before i undock?

3 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
8783 792 2271
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

Undocking Elitebook 820

I would suspect the steps in what you do as causing this problem.  It sounds as though the cover is closed and then sometime later,  the laptop is pulled from the docking station.  Is that the process?

I would suggest undocking before closing the cover or shut down completely and then undock.  Many users use the docking station with an external monitor and you can close the cover while in the dock and still use the PC.  Therefore it is assuming that you want to continue working and the PC is pulled from the dock leaving it still on.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
brownk69 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

Undocking Elitebook 820

You are correct in the fact that the lid is closed when i undock. I don't keep the lid open when docked, as there are 2 external displayes hooked to the dock. So in the morning the machine is closed, I place it in the dock and power up. At the end of the day the machine lid has been closed for the duration of the day, and I undock. 

So there is no lid closing to force the sleep, but i assumed that since my setting is sleep after 10 minutes when not plugged in that that setting would take over and apply after power was removed when undocked.

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
8783 792 2271
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

Undocking Elitebook 820

If the Elitebook 820 G3 came with Windows 10 and this worked in the past, try resetting the sleep setting with the lid closed setting.  I would just make some changes save the configuration and then change it back to be sleep after 10 minutes with the lid closed, again.  Save the setting to see if that corrects the behavior.  It might be a Windows 10 update caused a snafu in the settings.  If that does not fix the problem then it would seem a habit change on undocking needs to be implemented.  Perhaps open the lid to allow the laptop display to come on, then undock and then close the lid.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation