Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBook / ProBook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I am going to upgrade my now very slow HP Pavillion to a newer model. I use it for business use, so it's only used to run Office programs, I do not need it for heavy graphics programs such as photoshop etc & I'm not a gamer.

Besides needing to run multiple Excel sheets at a time, I also want to have 2 x monitors where I currently have 1.

I am fairly clear on most of the specs that I need from a laptop except that of either an integrated (Intel UHD 620 or 630) or  a dedicated graphics card, for what I need to do, is it worth forking out the extra cash for a ZBook with dedicated graphics card or will a ProBook be adequate?

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dave_Mitch 

For me, Elitebook class machines are machines for business. There are many models/products around including 2-in-1 (HP calls them as x360). Except for traveling, I always use machines with docks and external monitors, keyboards, mice .. I have few different notebooks from few different vendors.

In your case, I think an HP Elitebook from 8xx G5 or G6  machine with plenty of RAM (16GB or 32GB for large Excel files) will do. They can easily to connect to an external monitor. If you wish to connect to more than 1 you would need a docking station. I don't have an HP docking station, I'm using HP machines on USB docks from different vendor and they all work as designed

Just for normal Office work, Intel UHD 620 or 630 is OK. I actually run a heavy photo editing software on one machine with Intel UHD 620 without any problem.

At the end, it is up to your decision. If you don't need SD card reader, please consider the following series

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c06308183.pdf  (14in)

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c06308184.pdf  (15in)

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dave_Mitch 

For me, Elitebook class machines are machines for business. There are many models/products around including 2-in-1 (HP calls them as x360). Except for traveling, I always use machines with docks and external monitors, keyboards, mice .. I have few different notebooks from few different vendors.

In your case, I think an HP Elitebook from 8xx G5 or G6  machine with plenty of RAM (16GB or 32GB for large Excel files) will do. They can easily to connect to an external monitor. If you wish to connect to more than 1 you would need a docking station. I don't have an HP docking station, I'm using HP machines on USB docks from different vendor and they all work as designed

Just for normal Office work, Intel UHD 620 or 630 is OK. I actually run a heavy photo editing software on one machine with Intel UHD 620 without any problem.

At the end, it is up to your decision. If you don't need SD card reader, please consider the following series

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c06308183.pdf  (14in)

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c06308184.pdf  (15in)

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Banhien for your advice, I'll take a look at the laptops you have suggested.

HP Recommended

@Dave_Mitch 

Did you send me a PM ? Sorry I have to reply you this way.

For docking station, depending on your need. I used to work for a place where they buy  2  or 3 thousand docks yearly and replace them after 3 years, we had no choice but we normally asking for docks which support at least 2 external FHD monitors, at least 4 USB ports, must have LAN port ... and docks can charge machines at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.