Mal_R
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Upgrading HP Zbook 17 G5 to Touchscreen

HP Recommended
Zbook 17 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Previously I posted under the Touch forum, but I realize now that may have been the wrong place to post, since this more directly concerns an upgrade I'm trying to perform.

I have received a ZBook 17 G5 laptop and a supposedly working 4K Touchscreen assembly pulled from a dead laptop of the same type. My Zbook originally had the Matte FHD screen, but I want to upgrade it to the touchscreen. Physically, the installation of the new screen assembly was pretty easy and smooth. I turned it on after connecting the EDP, the Touch connector, the ASL connector, and the Wifi connectors, and the screen itself, the webcam, and the wifi all work beautifully. However, touchscreen does not work in Windows nor in the BIOS. HID Compliant touchscreen device is not shown in the device manager. Additionally, I installed the UEFI System Diagnostics, but under System Components, it did not have an option listed to test the touchscreen. I then disassembled the screen assembly to make sure that the Digitizer board (with elan EKTH3918SUS controller) was present, visibly intact, and that the digitizer end of the cable was securely plugged in, which it was.

Is a ZBook 17 G5 that ships with a touchscreen different in firmware or a system board component from one that does not, so mine that did not ship with one is unable to detect and communicate with the touchscreen? Or is it more likely that the digitizer controller is faulty?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation