ShroudedRecluse
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Upgrading my Probook 650 G2 with an NVMe SSD

HP Recommended
Probook 650 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm wanting to upgrade my Probook 650 G2 with a 500+ NVMe SSD.    According to the spec sheets and manuals I've been able to find, the only NVMe drive supported would be a 256 GB PCIe-3x4 DS NVMe.  However, I don't know if that was a technological or marketed limitation imposed at the time; or if it's a BIOS, memory, or other physical limitation of the system. 

I am able to find NMVe drives that look as though they should work, such as the Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 TLC, which seems to just be a bigger version of the 256 GB PCIe-3x4 DS NVMe found in the spec sheets and manual.  I know the chipset supports bigger drives, because the system also shows that it supports a 512 GB SATA-3 TLC drive.  So I'm just wondering if it's ok to use an unrecommended NVMe SSD configuration on my laptop.

Any help appreciated.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation