cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoergAl
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Warranty and support escalation procedure?

HP Recommended
ZBook Studio X360 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I run a small consulting company of about 25 employees and we have been using HP laptops ever since, currently operating more than 20 ProBooks.

However, when my ZBook 14 finally went dead after 4+ years I decided to go with the current top-of-the-line ZBook Studio X360 G5 with the full configuration including Xeon Processor plus docking station and ethernet adapters.

I got the notebook on the 2nd of february (bought in the US and shipped to the Dominican Republic since those kinds of computers are never available locally).

Setup was done using my "Microsoft work account", so the password is always checked against our "Azure Active Directory".

After about 2 weeks of using it Windows 10 suddenly stopped to recognize my Windows password. I tried all I could think of (ten-times-checking the password, resetting it, etc.) to no avail. So I said goodbye to my installation and proceeded with the "factory reset" from the hard drive, gaining access again to the notebook with a new Windows installation.

So two days ago, the same thing happened again; I was suddenly locked out of Windows because Windows would not recognize fingerprints, PIN or the password, at all. So again, slightly upset, I proceeded to the factory reset, knowing it was the only solution I had found before.

This time the restore proceeded as follows:

1. Preparation of hard disk and reboot into Windows initialization procedure
  2. Define region and keyboard layout
  3. Connect to Wi-Fi
  4. Looking for Windows Updates (found some...)
  5. Reboot (I suppose to finish update installation)
  6. Notebook, before booting Windows, asks for BIOS password (or fingerprint) for user "DESKTOP-******\defaultuser0"

Now I'm stuck at that screen. I never had a "defaultuser0" configured, nor did the notebook have the name it indicates it has now. So clearly the reset procedure had already gotten to the point of setting a computer name and creating a (temporary?) user account. How should I know what the password for that account is?

So I called HP Support (first US, then was referred to Costa Rica because I'm located in the Caribbean) and was quickly given the answer that "I had set the password", or "someone else had set the password" and that "this issue is not covered by warranty", basically telling me to throw a US$2,500 notebook (+accessories) out the window after less than a month of usage.

This notebook has clearly some issues with a component (would that be TPM?) that manages encryption or passowrds, that had caused the previous login problems for me and has now caused the notebook to become a (heavy) paper-weight.

The current response/position of the support team is absolutely unacceptable for me, and if this position is upheld will definitely lead to us never buying any HP products ever again.

Can anyone kindly suggest the best way to go forward? Unfortunately the closest to an "official escalation procedure" I have found is sending a message directly to Dion Weisler.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Joerg.

1 REPLY 1
JoergAl
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anyone reading this at all?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation