Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 850 G3 Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

Where can I purchase a replacement SIM tray for my EliteBook 850 G3? I’m going to install a WWAN card, but I wouldn’t be able to take advantage of it without being able to install the SIM card for mobile cellular access. Help please!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello

Elitebook 850 G3 was supporting only 3G WWAN Card. it doesn't make sense to add now to a product 6/7 years old a WWAN card, it would be a lot better to buy a newer product with WWAN card already installed.

Even more in several country , in Europe, 3G network has been shutdown and you can't use anymore 3G WWAN card

Bye

HP Recommended

Hi TTDMB,

I’ve recently updated that 850 G3 to Windows 11 Pro, added more RAM and installed a SSD M.2 1TB drive. When I realized I could have a Windows device using mobile cellular technology, I began investigating. I’ve bought a 4G cellular modem and had my carrier program a SIM for it. It should all arrive by Saturday for installation. HP says this model doesn’t use a SIM tray but uses only a macro SIM. I’ll update this thread once everything is installed. Thanks for your input. 

HP Recommended

Hello

I'm afriad to tell you that a 4G card installed into 850 G3 will not work.

BIOS check which WWAN card is installed and if it's not one of the supported card, you will get a message at boot informing you that that card is not supported by BIOS.

let us know what happens when you power on  the notebook after WWAN installation

Cheers

HP Recommended

Thanks. I’ve seen some threads elsewhere about that same issue, but I’ll apply a BIOS update to see if it’ll work.  I was able to get Windows 11 Pro installed on a so-called “too old” of a machine, so I’ll try my skills at this. I promise to keep you posted. 

HP Recommended

Hey sir - as promised, I have SUCCESSFULLY installed the physical cellular modem and Windows DID NOT prompt me with a BIOS incompatibility message.

I have an HP EliteBook 850 G3, running Windows 11 Pro, 24GB RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, Ashata LTE cellular modem, Intel WiFi a/b/g/n...

I am in Best Buy now attempting to get a macro SIM to see if it will fit and have them activate as well. #ThisIsWhatIDo.

Cheers!

Snapdragon Hardware Install.jpgWindows Modem Install Verify.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello DetroitDee

you are right.  I probably  read the wrong document about WWAN supported by 850 G3. 

lt4120 is supported, that's way BIOS didn't block the use. I apologize for my mistake.

I hope you are able to find the SIM for it.

Bye

HP Recommended

Hello

did you find the SIM ?

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.