Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Up until this morning I had a fairly functional HP 840 G3 Elitebook laptop running Windows 7 Pro that I was preparing to upgrade to Windows 10.

The laptop has two storage devices, a Lite-On M2/SSD and a Samsung SATA SSD both 256GB capactity. The M2 had 4 partitions the bulk of which was taken by the Windows 7 system drive (C:), the others were the recovery partitions and a small dual boot partition.

The BIOS etc was up to date as were most of the Windows 7 patches.

I went into the BIOS and disabled the drive in the boot sequence (UEFI and Legacy) as I wanted to ensure I was booting from the second drive. This removed the Lite-On drive from the list leaving USB, and the Samsung drive. I was able to get onto the Linux partition which was all good and I then went to put the Lite-On SSD back into the boot sequence but the drive was no longer there and, for the life of me, I cannot see how to get it back.

I physically removed the Samsung SSD (Linux) and put a functioning Windows 10 boot SSD in its place. This boots up just fine and in disk management I see the Lite-On drive but it has no partitions, volumes or anything. In fact it doesn't even have the manufacturers name and the capacity is 0b with 0b free along with the worrying message that it is "Unknown" and "Not initialized".

How can removing the drive from the boot order have had such catastrophic effect on this drive?

Is there anything I can do to try and recover the partitions or at least save any of the data from this M2/SSD?

Thanks...

However, I went into the BIOS and disable

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.