Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP Experts, I want to buy a Docking Station for my Home Office. The company I work for won't supply or let me use the work supplied HP USB-C/A Universal Dock G2 (STW13AA) at home. As the product is over 160,00 EUR I was wondering if there are any alternatives?

I have a HP Elitebook 840 G7 Laptop with a HP Elite Display E273Q Monitor including HP 5101 Speaker.

Is the Universal Dock G2 my only option or would HP USB-C Dockingstation G5 also do the job? Would at least save me 40 EUR.

I would want to use it with my private Apple MacBook Pro.

Would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Many thanks

Stu1970

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The usb-c port runs at 10Gbs speed and there is enough bandwidth to handle your environment with the hp usb-c g5 dock... The concern is for users that need to support, say 3 FHD displays, or 2 4K displays... there is not enough performance on the bus for that AND to support full performance of the nic, usb ports, etc. on the dock... The Universal G2 dock benefits from an embedded DisplayLink chip which provides conversion and compression across the same usb-c bus, allowing for more displays in FHD or 2 4K monitors... So, for your needs, there will be no performance issues with the G5 dock

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

you should be able to use the usb-c g5 dock (lower cost), that although lower performance than the universal dock, it should work for your external single display fine... Tech doc for hp docking solutions: HP Dock Solutions

HP Recommended

Hello @Stu1970 

Elitebook 840 G7 supports HP USB-C G5 dock and HP Thunderbolt G2 120 W

>> https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-6811ENUC

You can see USB-C G5 dock's specs here >>https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g5

and also the Thunderbold G2 120W's specs here >> https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-thunderbolt-dock-120w-g2

I haven't tested but HP USB-C/A Universal Dock G2 may not work, it is not listed as supported on G7, but I can check and let you know if you insist on the Universal Dock G2.

I am currently posting this from Elitebook G7 and USB-C G5, works perfectly fine.

With regards to Mac OS/Apple devices - some docking stations can work with Apple products but to my knowledge, due to some limitation of the macOS there might be some limitations such as using multiple monitors, and others. If you want, you can share more details about your MacBook device (concrete models, versions) + details about the OS, and I can check for known issues or limitations for your device. However, this will be one time check and I cannot guarantee future flawless support for Apple. HP docks work perfectly with HP products and Windows, for sure.

Let me know if this works for you and don't hesitate to post again if any questions or issues

edit: @soccer_dan  was first :ThumbUp:

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello Soccer_dan really appreciate your response. Just so I understand the pro‘s and con‘s. You mentioned a possible difference in performance for the bucks. What sort of performance are we talking about. Is it the speed of image transfer on the monitor, the level of resolution transfer between screen and laptop, or more the number of units or devices. As I just have one laptop to the monitor then the devices should not be a issue. I have to spend the whole day doing spreadsheets and commercial comparisons. So anything that would improve screen image or transfer would be worth every cent.

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Hi IT_WinSec, we use only the USB C/A Universal G2 Dockingstations in the office. So I know they work also with my/our Laptops. Just one cable and the laptop is connected to two monitors and charges the battery.

Therefore I really appreciate the knowledge that the G5 would also do the same job. Thank you and stay safe and well 👍🏻

HP Recommended

The usb-c port runs at 10Gbs speed and there is enough bandwidth to handle your environment with the hp usb-c g5 dock... The concern is for users that need to support, say 3 FHD displays, or 2 4K displays... there is not enough performance on the bus for that AND to support full performance of the nic, usb ports, etc. on the dock... The Universal G2 dock benefits from an embedded DisplayLink chip which provides conversion and compression across the same usb-c bus, allowing for more displays in FHD or 2 4K monitors... So, for your needs, there will be no performance issues with the G5 dock

HP Recommended

Hi soccer_dan top job👏🏻🤟🏻
Exactly the information I needed. Thank you 🙏🏻 

i will double check on my Apple MacBook Pro it’s 5 years old with a Intel Processor it’s not the newest . 

So from Football ️ to Soccer ️ many thanks and stay safe and well

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.