Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook

Im shopping for a near equivalent to the base model dell xps 15 or the base model (upgraded to 500nit screen) lenovo x1 extreme. They are almost identically spec'd and both at 1150USD at their sites.  

I looked at HP and really could not find a similar design and value.   In the search i discovered links to an elitebook 15.6 with specifications identical to the dell and lenovo.  But HP appears to have discontinued it.  There are quite a few to be found at resellers online.  But these are already one to two years old and with screen brightness and color values no quite up to the xps or x1. And at about the same price ATT.

HP elitebook 15.6.  

Very good screen

Nicely futureproof gen 8 i5 cpu

Nicely futureproof gtx 1050 ti gpu

Slim rugged design basic business clamshell

Two thunderbold 3 and sd card reader

Non number-pad keyboard.  (I love)

I want it.  They dont offer it anymore.

Why?  Problems with them?  Something else?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@svejkovat 

If you wish to buy similar Dell XPS machines from HP, Spectre machines are the right choice. Elitebook machines are business class machines therefore they are smaller and lighter. For direct comparison, Elitebooks machines are similar to Dell Latitude machines or Lenovo X something machines.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I prefer a full keyboard without keypad. 

I prefer a simple clamshell design for reliability.

I prefer a non touch matte screen.

I prefer an understated design as much as possible, without accoutrement, without garish two toned chromed plastic.

Each of these is lacking in the spectre for my tastes and needs.  So HP has nothing to offer really against the xps or the x1?

HP Recommended

Hi, @svejkovat 

The HP Elitebook model series is one of HP's best selling business-class notebooks.

I don't know why you believe the 15.6" model was discontinued.

You want to shop for the 850 G6, which is the current model.

The middle number of the 8x0 is the display screen size 5 = 15.6"

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c06308184.pdf

HP Recommended

I had compared the hp 1050 to the lenovo x1 extreme and dell xps 15.  Almost identically equipped.  The hp 1050 could be custom optioned with nvidia gtx dedicated graphics.  The 850 g6, what appears to be its replacement, is only available with intel integrated graphics.   3d cad is a requirement for my needs.  Im disappointed that hp does not seem to have a model that directly competes with the xps or x1.  They are perfectly situated for my needs.  But ive only owned hp in the past and been very happy with the products.  Lately there are too many horror stories about lenovo customer support. 

HP Recommended

So far in my research the following lenovo x1 fulfills as close to every need i have in a laptop.   The dell xps 15 is almost identically equipped.  Both around 1150usd.  Does hp have anything equivalent?

X1 Extreme Gen 2

Part # 20QVCTO1WW

$1,133.55$2,519.00Ships in 7-9 business days-   + DETAILS

• [edit]

• [edit]

Configuration Details

• Processor : 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-9300H (2.40GHz, up to 4.10GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8MB Cache)
  • Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
  • Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
  • Memory : 8GB DDR4 2666MHz
  • First Storage Selection : 256GB SSD PCIe
  • Hard Drive Total Capacity : 256GB
  • Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™ HDR 400 with IR & 720p HD Camera, 500 nits
  • Top Cover Selection : Black Paint (FHD Models) / Carbon-Fibre Weave (UHD Models)
  • Graphics : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Max-Q 4GB
  • Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
  • Keyboard : Backlit - US English
  • Camera : IR & 720p HD
  • TPM Setting : Enabled Discrete TPM2.0
  • Battery : 4 Cell Li-Polymer, 80Wh
  • Power Cord : 135watt AC
  • Wireless : Intel® AX200 Wi-Fi 6 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0
  • Display Panel : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 500nits, No touch, IR-Camera, Mic
  • Package Box : Retail Packaging
  • Publications Pack : Publication-English
  • Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
HP Recommended

That first price listed, 1133.55  is the ordered/ configured price.  2519.00 is the original list.

Both the lenovo x1 and dell xps 15.6 laptops have 500nit FHD  screens, thunderbolt 3, dedicated graphics, i5 8th gen or better cpus, compact flash readers, for less than 1200usd.  

Does hp have a model ive overlooked?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.