Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy isn't charging any more.  Will it still boot with a dead battery but still connected to power? The battery is down to 10% charge.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, this isn't a business laptop, it's my personal laptop.  I messed up choosing the dropdown

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there isn't a simple yes or no.

Some notebooks will still boot up and work fine with a dead battery when connected A/C power, and some will not.

If yours has an internal battery, and you want to leave it in that condition, make sure you check the notebook's case for battery swelling and bulging, or unplug the PC when not in use.

Leaving the notebook plugged in at all times may cause the battery to swell.

HP Notebook PCs - Swelling or deformation of notebook battery | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thank you.  That's what I had read, that some will and some won't.  I've ordered a new laptop - scheduled to be delivered Thursday - and I'm hoping if the old laptop completely dies, I'll still be able to get data off it.  I didn't know if certain models would boot without a battery and just on power or not.  I would remove the battery, but it's not an easy task and I'm not tech savvy enough to do it myself.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you were to remove the battery, there is no telling if the notebook would work or not on just the A/C power.

It would be an interesting experiment, I suppose.

Yes, these thin and light notebooks are very hard to take apart.  ☹️

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.