Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi Community,

I have a problem with my Zbook Studio G9 and Thunderbolt.
System Win11 22H2 incl. update to 22H2 (KB5018496).

The laptop is freshly installed with the correct drivers from the HP Studi G9 Support Drivers website.

The only problem I have that I suspect is that Thunderbolt is not working properly. Intel Thunderbolt Driver Version 85 Rev.A / sp139786.exe

I am missing the Thunderbolt entry in the Device Manager under System Devices. (Show hidden devices is on)

No thunderbolt - Screenshot 2022-10-30 131837.png

But the Thunderbolt Device Router is present.

Screenshot 2022-10-30 133316.png

Also, the Intel Thunderbolt Control Centre does not show me any device or available ports when I connect my G2 Docking Station.

However, the G2 Docking Station works with the G27 G2 monitors connected - but I have the feeling that they are using USB-C.

My question now is whether this is a Win 11 22H2 / Intel / Wolf Security problem. (I found simmilar issues with the Omen Laptops and Intel 12700H CPU)

Thank you for any tips and hints.

Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I also had a similar problem with my HP thunderbolt dock 280W G4 on the Windows 11 22H2.

the laptop will be a blue screen and show video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error when I plug in the type-c cable of my dock

ck.

HP Recommended

supplement below, my laptop is Zbook Studio G9.

HP Recommended

Latest FWs on G4 Dock and Laptop?

Latest drivers?

Tried HP Image Assistant (HPIA) ?

Cheers.

HP Recommended

Latest FWs on G4 Dock and Laptop?

1.3.12.0 Rev.A, the same failure on the previous firmware version.

Latest drivers?

I'm not sure where I could find this...

Tried HP Image Assistant (HPIA) ?

Yes, I tried installing the pure iso of Windows 11 21H2/22H2 then set it up with HPIA downloading drivers. unfortunately, the failure still occurs. even though I downgraded to Windows 10 22H2, it still failed on the thunderbolt device detected. but I can find the thunderbolt is working well in the device manager, and the thunderbolt was missing in Windows 11 always.

HP Recommended

Did you ever resolve this issue? I've found that on my HP Z4 G4 workstation with windows 11 22H2 the thunderbolt 3 card does not work as a thunderbolt controller. Works as usbc controller

HP Recommended

the same failure as you seem, and I cannot install the Intel thunderbolt driver also.

the bug still has not been resolved.

HP Recommended

It's a weird one and the cause is also elusive.

The next step for me is to insist having a whole new replacement system delivered that has been confirmed to work.

I have been working with a support person. I have jumped through every imaginable hoop.

-- went through all the motions with hpia, installiing drivers, verifying everything

-- Installed a clean windows 10 AND windows 11 with a new separate m.2 drive.

-- Friday a tech came and replaced the system board. Other than the tb3 card, we unplugged everything but the m.2 system drive and one other m.2 drive, unplugged any sata drives, took out ethernet card that came with system. Only board installed was tb3 card and video card. and I swapped the existing tb3 card with a new one I got for another z4 in my facility.

-- Yesterday I swapped the video card (nvidia p2000) with a different nvidia video card from a z840 I have (nvidia p4000).

As far as non-swapped components, that only leaves the memory. and the chassis/power supply.

The number of hours I personally wasted on this comes to 5 solid days. The support tech also spent a fair amount of time. The tech came to my house, replace the board and we spent another hour troubleshooting and eliminating non-necessary hardware.

It's like this system is haunted. The amount of time and money HP and myself have wasted on this system would pay for the most loaded up tricked out machine I could order.

The least HP could do at this time is send me a brand new machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.