Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
probook 4535s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a probook 4535s that came installed with Win7pro x64 and was then upgraded to Win10 and was working well.

Now the HDD died and I replaced it with a SSD and performed a fresh ainatall of the current version of Win10 x64.

However, the computer is giving me hell and is super slow. it seems to hang up sometimes for liek 30-60 seconds. During boot their ise a long delay (black screen) between the windows boot logo and the login screen.

After all my efforts, devce manager lists only 1 item as unkown device. All the rest is apparently properly installed (although I cannot be 100% sure of that.)

Could anyone please point me to whereI could find the proper drivers for this machine (especially base drivers for the chipset, CP sATA, etc...

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

PS: BIOS version is F.65 (UEFI). Originally the laptop came with BIOS version F.20. I didn't see much difference among the 2 versions...

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

The OS version only goes upto W8.1 and the BIOS version appears to be different.

F.60 Rev.A is the most recent - Mar 31, 2015

So perhaps you need to verify the most appropriate BIOS version for your system / OS.

Check the Secure/Legacy boot options and that the SSD is a valid device, it is seen as a HDD and not an SD card.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-probook-4535s-notebook-pc/5098225/swIt...

HP Recommended

I have a probook 4535s that came installed with Win7pro x64 and was then upgraded to Win10 and was working well.

F.65 (2017) is available if you select Win7 x64 or Win8 x64 as an OS on HP's driver page for the 4535s. IDK why they only propose F.60 for Win8.1...

Default primary boot option is OS boot manager (UEFI mode). Should I try to boot on the SSD in legacy mode?

What do you mean check if the SSD is a valid device? (it's a Samsung 750 Evo, 250GB)

How can I check if it's seen as an SD card? Windows detects it as an SSD anyway.

Again, the boot process is slow (actually fast but pauses for like 60 seconds) and the computer seems sluggish at times once booted onto Win10 x64.

I found out googling the hardwareID that the only unkonwn device in device manger is related to 3D drive guard (now useless since SSDs don't benefit from 3D drive guard). I disabled it but the poor performances remain. Probably some driver isn't optimal but how to determine which one?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

PS: I found an old disk image of the HDD that was running Win10 on this machine. I could try to restore it if it's useful. However, I'd like to benefit from the performance of the SSD and I would like to make a fresh install of Win10 if that's possible...  I didn't think Win10 would give me driver issues until now...

HP Recommended

Hi

Windows 10?

ISO images of various Microsoft OS's are available.
They can be be downloaded  and 'burnt' to a DVD or USB.
They will NOT contain the appropriate HP software, like drivers etc, but may enable a repair to be started

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-windows-10-from-usb

HP Recommended

I installed Win10 Education N Anniversary Edition (is it 1607?). Now updated to version 1709 build 16299.64.

I installed via a USB installer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.