Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440 & Xeon E5 1620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Solved......

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

welcome the wondrous world of MS installer brain.

the installer only fails like that for 3 reasons; yes seen it all. me.

1. alien partitions there, like apple or linux ,   good= NTFS ,FAT32, EXFAT, OTHERS NOT. NO ALIENS 
  2. hdd is bad, bad is bad. (ssd or what ever it is bad is bad , if smart tests fail it is BAD.
  3. or get this, MS does not want to  wreck data, so if it sees old data there shows it as missing HDD. (rules are rare to know but I think if it seeS w10 old there, it assumes your are going to wreck data. (no lawsuits and all that)

the cure is 2 fold the w10 to w10 inline upgrade, but may fail for #3 if damaged  file there. ms dot...

MS calls it InPLACE.

if fails that means the OLD OS is to much a wreck.

cure #2 for sure  works always,  if loss of data no a factor , not told by you. ( IF YES ASK HOW TO FIRST)

erase the HDD, in 2nd PC
put it back and w10 installs to any blank good hDd or ssd made, but over 2TB disks must be GPT 64bit formatted .

I have  SSD/HDD docking bay USB and can erase any hDD super easy. using killdisk. (it removes all partitions so..... know that)

My Z600 has 2 SSD and 1 HDD, no problem ever but all are clean loaded fresh , let windows do all the work.

the installer.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

yes the installer is a bit daffy until you know why

answer protects data

and no new linux blocks  MS disks with secure boot active, is yours in secure boot> UEFI mode?

if yes i bet it is all a total mess now.

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.