2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

ZBOOK STUDIO G4 THUNDERBOLT 3 DOCK GLITCHING DISPLAY AND CRACKLING SOUND

HP Recommended
HP ZBOOK STUDIO G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

So, for a few weeks I have been trying to fix a few problems I had connecting my ZBOOK STUDIO G4 to my HP TB3 DOCK.

I will try to describe my problems as cleary as I can. English is not my native language so I'll do my best.

My Setup: LG 34UM95  monitor connected via DISPLAYPORT CABLE to my TB3 dock. I also have a mouse and keyboard connected to the back of the dock via usb.

Display Problem: The screen starts glitching after a few minutes use and sometimes even turns black for a few seconds and then turn back on. I have installed the latest NVIDIA driver (ver. 385,73) availabe for this device. I downloaded it from the HP site (SP82356).

Sound Problem: My monitor has built in speakers. But the sound is not clear when I connect my zbook to the dock. The sound is NOT clear and "crackle". They use the NVIDIA HD SOUND driver that comes with dislay driver I mentioned earlier. Somehow they interfere with the HP DOCK AUDIO drivers. How do I this? Simply: when I go to device manager and uninstall the HP DOCK AUDIO driver the sound becomes clear and the crackling is gone. But every time I disconnect or restart my zbook the HP DOCK AUDIO driver loads up and the crackling starts again. To be clear: When I play no sound there is no crackle. Only when a notification sound is played or music.

Sound drivers I have installed: Conextant HD Audio Driver (SP85090), Conextant USB Audio Driver for Docks (SP80933)

The funny thing is that I had this exact same problem a year ago with the built in speakers in the zbook itself. The Conextant Audio Driver was interfering with the audio drivers that come with the INTEL HD Graphics drivers. These drivers were installed by windows automaticly. I fixed this by installing the ones provided by HP and this problem was solved.

So I tried to fix these problems by upgrading the TB3 DOCK firmware with the tool provided by HP. But it caused me more problems. As I tried to upgrade the firmware none of the usb3 ports were working anymore because one of the drivers loaded by the tool was NOT SIGNED. I fixed this disabling Windows Driver Signature Verification on startup. Then I ran the tool again and everything was upgraded succesfully.

So after much stress I managed to get the latest firmware loaded on the dock and get everything working except the glitching screen every few minutes and the crackling sound after each startup. I dont want to remove the HP DOCK AUDIO driver everytime I startup my zbook for the audio to work correctly...

I spent a lot of money in this setup and I'm feeling like I wasted it. Nothing works properly and the provided software is not correct.

So please someone help me out.

2 REPLIES 2
bubler
Level 4
71 64 1 21
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The blinking is a common problem, I do not have any good solution unfortunatly.

Does the Firmware Multi-Installer (sp84553) say everything is up to date?

Also update Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ilivss
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What do you mean the blinking is a common problem? Haven't they fixed it yet? The dock is €250 and the laptop €3000. Why would I spent so much money if it doesn't work correctly

And yes everything is up to date.

Tags (1)
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation