Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook 17 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I have an older ZBook 17 G2 and the CPU usage is <1% however the fan will go on and off.  I have tried multiple solutions in the forums here and none of them have worked such as

-Removing the battery

-Removing the BIOS battery

-Resetting he BIOS

-Changing the power settings

-Removing "Bloatware"

-Changing Antivirus programs

-And many more.

I also contacted HP Support and the support team has no interest in helping me.  If I didn't like this machine, I would have bought another brand ASAP based upon how rude the HP Support team is.  However that doesn't solve my problem and I hoping someone here may have had the same problem and will be kind enough to share their solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Larry

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The fans are managed by the BIOS. Embedded algorithms determine when cooling is needed and fans need to be turned up or down... Best suggestion is to run HP Image Assistant and make sure the BIOS and all drivers are up to date... Certain Intel drivers communicate with the BIOS as well and can help manage necessary cooling

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I made a mistake in my post that all of the drivers and bios are up to date.  One other item is that the HP Image Assistant caused my CPU to constantly run above 25%.  Once I uninstalled it and all of the other HP bloatware things started to settle down to less that 1%.  Thank you for your help and suggestion however I still need a solution.

Larry

HP Recommended

HP Image Assistant is not installed and therefore will not consume resource when not in use... HP IA softpaq unpacks into a folder and the executable runs from that folder... there is no reason whatsoever HP IA would consume system resources if it is not running

it is hard to tell what might be causing slowdowns on your system... at this point, perhaps i would back up your data, do a Windows 10 reset to get a clean OS and run HP IA to update the system

I would also look at the drives you are using and see if a SSD upgrade might be helpful... you can do some basic performance checking with Windows Task Manager

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking time to respond and provide the suggestions that you have.  I am curious if you know of any issues that exisit between the ZBook G2 17 and the HP Docking Station "HP Docking Station HSTNN-I10X USB2.0 + Dvd-Rw Drive For Zbook 17 G2?"  Reading several other users experiences on "the web" points to issues where the fans are set off prematurally by the docking station.   

One of the first things that I did was to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10.  What was annoying was once I the HP Image Assistant  and other HP utilities on the system returned to where the fan was contanstatly running.  It never stopped and the HP software caused the system to overheat.  Once I uninstalled those the system calmed down but has never returned to where the fan does not stay off when not in use.  In fact even when the CPU is usage of less than 1% and Memory at less than 10% the fan kicks off even though the process temp is at < 100 deg.   Finally I worked with my local HP service center to make sure that drives that I purchased were 100% compatible.   Seems like I had a bum unit from the beginning and I wish I would have know that.  Anyway, thank you for trying to help.

HP Recommended

perhaps you are confusing Image Assistant with Support Assistant... HP Image Assistant does NOT get installed... it runs from the folder it got unpacked into

Also, when you are docked, the dock is supplying power to the laptop... if the battery needs charging (e.g. has not reached 100% charge capacity), then the energy required to charge generates heat... the heat translates into higher temperature and this will lead the fans to run

The bios has fan tables that are specific to a platform and take into account the internal temperature of the motherboard and its components... Fan tables have been tweaked over time and released with BIOS updates... if you have the latest BIOS installed, then you have the most up to date fan tables

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.