Promorange
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

ZBook G3 Thunderbolt Boot

HP Recommended
ZBook 17 G3

Hello,

I've been trying to boot from a SATA disk case connected to the USB-C/Thunderbolt port, but I can't get it to show up in the boot menu.

The device was partitioned as MBR and hybrid MBR, relevant BIOS settings are:

• USB Storage Boot: checked
  • Thunderbolt Port: checked
  • Thunderbolt Security Level: PCIe and DisplayPort – No Security
  • Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable

Both the ports are working, as I used them to prepare and access the drive, and the drive itself looks bootable, as it successfully booted in a Virtual Machine.

I experimented with various settings such as boot order, and updated to the latest 01.16 Rev.A, until I found the user guides mention a "Thunderbolt Boot" setting, which is not present in my BIOS setup.

Did I overlook anything obvious? Is thunderbolt boot supported at all by ZBook G3 series?

Best,

Daniele

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
MSLEEE
Level 6
Level 6
236 234 13 31
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the following questions:

1. What OS is in the SATA disk?

2. What is the model name of the SATA disk?

3. Are you able to see the SATA disk in "Legacy Boot Order" in F10 Setup  > Advanced > Boot options?

4. Did you configure Option ROM Launcy Policy tp "All Legacy" in F10 Setup > Advanced > Optio ROM Launcy Policy?

If you are not see the SATA disk in Legacy Boot Order, I suspect the SATA disk case.

I work for HP. All opinions and comments are my own.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Promorange
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for looking into it, replying below:

1. the SATA disk contains Windows 10 Home 64bit;

2. ST9320325AS - Seagate Momentus Laptop Hard Disk, 320 GB, 5400 SATA;

3. no, the disk is not shown in Legacy Boot Order either;

4. I confirm it is set to "All Legacy", I didn't try changing this setting;

For the records, I later updated the thunderbolt firmware to the latest version, after installing the same SATA disk as an internal drive and regularly booting from it. I then tried to boot another SATA disk using the external thunderbolt case and didn't work either.

It may be worth mentioning that turning on the notebook with the thunderbolt case plugged in, often results in a black screen and fan noise, without it being able to proceed with bios setup nor regular booting. A second start usually solves it. I remember this issue being mentioned in some other thread and recall it as related to the firmware version, but the update didn't change it for me, though I didn't really try any troubleshooting.

Edit: fixed OS typo (Win 10, not 7), added drive model.

Promorange
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I finally got reply from technical support, it was explained that, being the docking station an active device, no OS can be booted that way, BIOS is not to be blamed and the same goes with using the port directly, which was my case.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation