9 3 0 5
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

ZBook G3 and Windows 10 RS3 issues

HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I am having a problem since the RS3 update, I cannot boot into Windows with lid shut while connected on Thunderbolt 3 dock, I have to open the lid, power on the notebook, and then close it after boot. Windows restarts straight away, no BSoD, nothing, drivers and firmwares are latest.

Is anyone expieriencing similiar problems? It´s really frustrating.

9 REPLIES 9
Omer_B
Level 1
6 6 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here! just installed RS3 and seeing the same issue.

Did you ever find a solution?

0 Kudos
bubler
Level 4
71 65 1 21
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What kind of montors is connected?

Have one workplace with similar issues. In that instance it does BSOD but you'll not notice it as the display is blank and it autoreboots, the second time it boots ok though.

Check c:\windows\minidump if thre's anything in there.

Omer_B
Level 1
6 6 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm using 3 monitors: 1 X VGA and 2 X DVI (connected to the docking station through DVI-DisplayPort adapters). Although the same issue appears when connecting the VGA screen only...

I do notice a new dump file created in C:\Windows\MiniDump so there's probably a blue-screen of some sort on the way.

One clarification: My machine is an HP ZBook G4 (KabyLake, Intel HD Graphics 630), and not G3 as the original poster's. Also, I'm using Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise Edition RS3 (Version 1709, Build 16299.551).

So... what should I do next?

Thanks,

Omer

0 Kudos
Omer_B
Level 1
6 6 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found this notice from HP:

https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/hp-zbook-dock-with-thunderbolt-3/11122586/document/c06064733

It's advising to install a Windows 10 update package, but my IT policy doesn't allow me to install it by myself. Can anyone try it out? if it works, I'll ask my IT to install it.

Thanks,

Omer

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unless I'm very mistaken, the update package in question is simply the May 2018 'patch Tuesday' monthly update for Windows 10. If your IT department has installed that or any subsequent cumulative update, you should have the update already installed.

0 Kudos
Omer_B
Level 1
6 6 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see my system has the July update installed - and that hasn't solved the problem. So if anyone has other ideas I'll be happy to try...

0 Kudos
bubler
Level 4
71 65 1 21
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had this problem with an Zbook 17 G3, tried a lot of things. Reinstalled it several times, installed it with HP image etc.

In the end what I think did help was to install latest nvidia driver from nvidia site (not HP) and change to displayport 1.1 on the monitor, it didn't seem to like displayport 1.2.

Omer_B
Level 1
6 6 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still having this issue - adding some details I got from the Windows Error Report:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
Code: 119
Parameter 1: 2
Parameter 2: ffffffffc000000d
Parameter 3: ffff990145cfd8e0
Parameter 4: ffff9b82753f6810
OS version: 10_0_16299
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1037

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 0x119_2_DRIVER_FAILED_SUBMIT_COMMAND_dxgmms2!VidSchiSendToExecutionQueue

The last line implies this is a video driver problem... as @Bubler said, I believe it has got to do with the Nvidia driver (when the lid is open, I think the Intel driver takes precedence). I have the latest HP version (April 2018), and I prefer not to install a non-HP driver. So I'll wait till a new HP-certified version is released...

0 Kudos
Omer_B
Level 1
6 6 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update: issue is resolved for me, though I've made a few changes and not sure which one did the trick.

Possibly Relevant Changes:

• Updated BIOS version (from 01.21 to 01.25)
  • Audio driver changes (I made these due to a different issue, but perhaps they are related):
    • Uninstalled "nvidia HD audio driver" through Add/Remove Programs.
    • Uninstalled "HP Dock Audio" and "Conexant Audio Device" (through device manager) and installed latest audio drivers from HP website.
  • Also, 3 months have passed since my last attempt - I assume some Windows updates and some Enterprise updates were pushed to my computer in the time.

Hope this might help others.

Best,

Omer

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation