Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have several new 15 G5s on the site and every single one of them is experiencing overheating, lowest models use 8750H and highest one E2186M Xeons.

While putting a lots of stress on the GPU and CPU itself the machine just downclocks to around 2.0GHz.

While playing games (= really "intensive" workload), some notebooks just plainly shut off from overheating.

Tried to open a case with HP (case no. [removed per Rules Of Participation]), but no response yet, I just saw they ordered a new motherboard (for what?) and new heatsink. Can I get anyone to tell me if this is a new revision they ordered (I doubt it, since the machine is not even one month old).

Unfortunately I won´t be replacing MoBo since last time (when I opened a support ticket for G3), alot of new problems started to arise and my original problem was not resolved, however the case was closed as solved (thanks for that). Ended up selling the machine and I´ll see if we even stick to HP anymore after we somehow resolve this situation with G5s

Just to let all know, this is while playing a game, the fans REFUSE to go OVER 62/70%

This is with fans manually set to 100%

(right click and open in new tab).

Meanwhile while rendering 4K video the CPU gets throttled down to even 800MHz. I really don´t know if some testing was done on these units, as it seems the cooling performance is inefficient and it cant keep up with heat generated by Coffee Lake and Quadro GPU, to make matters worse, they are connected, so if you´re using JUST GPU, you´re effectively heating up the CPU as well.

All machines connected to Thunderbolt Dock G2 230W

Just a little buyers beware if you´re in for #1 mobile workstation, and hopefully someone from HP responds to this.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have the 17" G5 Xeon E2176 arriving mid-week. I will check the temps and post. This is disappointing to see. I will undervolt (XTU) my CPU and GPU, however: I do this with all my laptops by default.  If temps are hot and throttling occurs I usually repaste the CPU as well.

HP Recommended

Our 17 G5s will be arriving soon. There better not be problems as we ordered almost 200 of them. 

We once had a bad batch of G3s where the thermal paste wasn't applied correctly. Maybe something similar happened. 

HP Recommended

Holy cr*p, I almost pushed the buy button on a 17-inch G5!

Can you guys please share further experience? I'm especially interested how HP handled the support ticket as I read really bad things about their business support nowadays.

HP Recommended

I haven't had any overheating issues with my 17. It has the E2176M processor. Note that I undervolted the CPU by 140mV from the beginning. I haven't really found a need to repaste with liquid metal, but that is an option in the future. The CPU hovers around the low 90s with all cores running at 4.2GHz.

I've been using HP business support since 2013. They've always been responsive and helpful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.