Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ZBook X360 G5 Disappearing M.2 SSD

ZBook X360 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got a brand new X360 ZBook, i added a Crucial M.2 SSD as a data drive and it keeps disappearing. The first i notice is when i can no longer save the file i just opened. Then its not showing in file explorer. I reboot and its back all working fine.

This is the second X360 this month (first one had a faulty touch panel) and the first one had the same problem the drive would just disappear.

I would normally suspect the SSD but it works fine when its working.

Lee

6 REPLIES 6
Level 8
Level 8
913 912 47 100
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

before i troubleshoot any further, i would make sure your BIOS and drivers are up to date... Use HP Image Assistant (www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement) to check on and then do the updates

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
LeeW_1969
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Soccer_dan,

I ran the HP Image Assistant and it was showing a few drivers out of date - even though the HP Support Assistant shows them all up to date.Annotation 2019-06-12 214134.png One of significance i think was the Intel 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI controller.

So i've updated and I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the image assistant.

Lee

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
913 912 47 100
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

for business products, HP Image Assistant is a significant better tool for keeping systems updates...

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
LeeW_1969
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Soccer_dan,

More problems now, the keyboard and trackpad vanished. Not recognised even at bios - I cant even stop boot up to get to bios.

Curiously the caps lock button was illuminated the whole time even with computer turned off.

I had to remove the battery to disconnect power, then refitted and tried again - now it works.

This is not a good sign, so far this is the most expensive and troublesome laptop i've ever owned.😥

Lee

0 Kudos
LeeW_1969
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Soccer_Dan,

Driver updates didn't work - hard drive disappeared again today. 😭

What a massive pain this laptop has become, its just problem after problem.

It's my work machine and critical to my daily job, we cant afford to be messing about like this all the time - we paid nearly £2500 for this and expected so much more. I have an 8 year old Dell Precision M6700 that has been faultless and I am beginning to which I hadn't switched.

Lee

0 Kudos
LeeW_1969
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had to give up with this - took the second M.2 drive out of the computer. The final straw was it gave out on me mid presentation in front of a customer.

Works fine with the factory fitted primary drive.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation