cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Zbook 15 G3 keyboard has stopped working unless an external USB keyboard is also connected

HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I've owned this Zbook 3 laptop for about a year. I don't use it every day. Boots the Win10 Pro that came with it. Flawless for a year, no issues, fast, clean, everything works.

Yesterday, I fire it up after being off for about a month, and after responding to the initial Spacebar to bring up the login screen, the keyboard stops working. Zero. Zilch. No response.

I reboot. This time, it doesn't even recognize the Spacebar. I have to click the mouse to bring up the login screen, and then use the fingerprint reader to log in and load Windows.

Starting to troubleshoot, I reboot into the BIOS screen with F12 (which it recognizes), but once it gets to the actual BIOS screens, keyboard doesn't work anymore.

It's under warranty, but I decide to do more troubleshooting.

I boot up again, get a USB keyboard, plug it in, and that works. I accidentally brush across the built-in keyboard, and now it works. I unplug the USB keyboard, and the built-in one keeps working!

I reboot to see if it survives that. Nope. I plug in the USB keyboard, and both keyboards work again. I unplug the USB keyboard again, put the machine to sleep, wake it up, and the internal keyboard no longer works. So the 'plug in a USB keyboard to make the internal one work' fix does not survive the sleep state or a reboot.
According to Device Manager, the driver for the 'keyboard' entry is from HP dated 10/20/2020, version 11.1.5.1 and there are no new updates for it. I delete it and reboot, and it reinstalls, but same problem.

I have no idea what to try next. Suggestions welcome.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation