Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Planning for my new ZBook 15 G5 i7-8850H and looking at possible 3rd party for extra 16g ram and 1T HDD 2.5” drive.  Any suggestions that are compatible with new series G5 ?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes that RAM will work. You can use RAM of your preferred brand, such as Crucial, Kingston, Samsung. You can probably find cheaper if you perform an online search and then install the RAM yourself.

Now, for the hard drive it depends if the drive bracket comes with the PC. It might actually be in the box. If not you would need to purchase the part L28721-001 

I see it is on backorder in HP parts store in the US.

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=92918F18B7624B87B7D51520DD7678D6&SearchIn=P...

Naturally an extra M2 (SATA or PCIe) drive would be much faster in everyday use and transferring files. However much more expensive about 5 times, so if you are using the drive only to save files you can go with a 2.5" mechanical drive from Seagate, WD ...

To maybe save some money you could buy and place both the RAM and Hard disk yourself as it is quite an easy procedure and since the notebook has a service cover and is customer upgradeable. (you can see the steps in service manual) That way you could wait and see if the hard drive bracket is in the box.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Trikonics-Tech,

Your Z Book can support upto 32 GB of RAM.

Please see the below link for upgrade options : http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-zbook-15u-g5-mobile-workstation

Guide for your reference : https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1046678844.pdf

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Trikonics-Tech

That model supports max 64GB of DDR4 -2666Mhz (4x16GB)

You can see on page 2 of service manual. You can buy your preferred brand such as Crucial, Samsung.... The service manual provided above by @GBL84 is for a different type of ZBook 15 G5 Mobile Workstation (with U processors, not H processor as in your case)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06038182

Now for the hard drive there are many combinations. What kind of drive are you ordering in your ZBook. It is possible to have two M2 drives (PCIe or SATA3 , the PCIe one being much faster) (pages 2 and 3 of service manual) and it is also possible to have a 2,5" drive. If there is no 2.5" in the PC when you buy it, you might need to purchase the hard drive bracket for the drive if not included with PC (page 45 of service manual).

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

David, thank you for the quick and detailed response!  It's truly appreciated.

I'll be purchasing the Zbook G5 4RB11UT#ABA model which includes 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2666 and 512GB PCIe NVMe. My goal is to increase the ram to 32g total and have extra 1T storage space as a secondary access point for legacy data.

My vendor has suggested the following ram, KCP426SD8/16 KINGSTON : 16GB DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM, not sure if this is compatible.

As for the HHD, I wonder if I should just go for a second SSD instread of HDD seeing that I maight need hard drive bracket. Really looking for an economical solution.

Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Alex

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes that RAM will work. You can use RAM of your preferred brand, such as Crucial, Kingston, Samsung. You can probably find cheaper if you perform an online search and then install the RAM yourself.

Now, for the hard drive it depends if the drive bracket comes with the PC. It might actually be in the box. If not you would need to purchase the part L28721-001 

I see it is on backorder in HP parts store in the US.

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=92918F18B7624B87B7D51520DD7678D6&SearchIn=P...

Naturally an extra M2 (SATA or PCIe) drive would be much faster in everyday use and transferring files. However much more expensive about 5 times, so if you are using the drive only to save files you can go with a 2.5" mechanical drive from Seagate, WD ...

To maybe save some money you could buy and place both the RAM and Hard disk yourself as it is quite an easy procedure and since the notebook has a service cover and is customer upgradeable. (you can see the steps in service manual) That way you could wait and see if the hard drive bracket is in the box.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Excellent idea! Thanks for the help and guidance .

Regards,

Alex

HP Recommended

Your welcome Alex.

Let me know if you need any further help when that beautiful PC arrives.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Hi,

should the Zbook G5's (15 G5 a & 17 G5) include the 2.5 HDD bracket as DIB(drop in box)?  not positive but i think that was the last advice i got from HP. can anyone verify?

thanks

HP Recommended

My ZBook 15 G5 came with the bracket for 2.5" drive and no drive (I ordered from B&H with xeon and 4k screen)

HP Recommended

Thank you David, I gave you thumbs up on your previous response. Very helpful post.
I did the same thing and bought the same unit Trikonichs-Tech bought which is HP Zbook G5 4RB11UT#ABA

I confidently purchased Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400 4x16MB. Installed the first two easily access through the service door, but the other two I am contemplating to install as sadly HP made access for the other two very hard. You have to remove Keyboard, bottom cover (not just service door) and system board! 

I am wondering if you have some thoughts about this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.