Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 15 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! My place of business just purchased a new Zbook 15 G6 for me to use for CAD modeling. It came with 16GB of DDR4 installed, 2 sticks of 8GB each. Looking at a few different sources, including the BIOS, CPU-Z and a couple performance benchmark programs, it appears the stock memory runs at 2400... Everything I can find on this machine seems to indicate 2666 capability - is there any reason why it shouldn't be running at full speed? 

I also bought a 32GB Crucial kit of DDR4-2666 for this machine. Installing that in the primary slots by itself also only runs at 2400. What am I missing here?

Thank you and regards,

Michael Stockwell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The zbook 15 g6 supports ddr4 2667MHz memory. Quickspecs: https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c06305136

If ANY of the memory is running at 2400, then all will be as well. Run the HP Performance Advisor tool to check on the system configuration, and many other things... HP PA is unique to HP Z desktop and laptop systems

Also, NOTE this (from the QUickspecs, page 10): 
Intel® allows architectures designed with four DIMM slots to run at 2400 MT/s

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Michael

RAM speed could depend by installed processor.  which CPU do you have in your unit ?

Bye

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for the response! My CPU is the i7-9850H. Intels site seems to indicate that 2666 memory would be supported. Any thoughts.

Mstockwell_0-1588613711830.png

HP Recommended

The zbook 15 g6 supports ddr4 2667MHz memory. Quickspecs: https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c06305136

If ANY of the memory is running at 2400, then all will be as well. Run the HP Performance Advisor tool to check on the system configuration, and many other things... HP PA is unique to HP Z desktop and laptop systems

Also, NOTE this (from the QUickspecs, page 10): 
Intel® allows architectures designed with four DIMM slots to run at 2400 MT/s

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you sir, I read that before and it actually seems like it makes more sense now. I was thinking it meant "When 4 DIMM slots are populated it defaults to 2400", but actually it looks like because 4 DIMM slots exist in the architecture, it defaults to 2400 always.

Not what I was hoping to see but I get it. Thank you, I downloaded the Performance Advisor and learned some other things about this machine in the process. I appreciate your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.