Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Yes the firmware seemed to stop the complete monitor disconnects, but the usb disconnects and studders a lot! usually when there's data being pushed across the dock. 

I've disabled most of the power saving features and it seems to have helped a bit and made it useable but it's still hit and miss on bootup. 

I have been able to speed up the dock recognition by allowing the laptop to wake on ac power so it starts booting when the dock is plugged in, and you can even catch the windows startup... but the screen flickers.

HP Recommended

Yup still no fix at the moment. I've gone through just about every setting I possibliy could. Even on a fresh build of windows 10 it had the same issues.

HP Recommended

I tried the dock FW update on two different docks - still no change for me.

I'm going to be indisposed for about two weeks starting tomorrow - perhaps after I return I might venture into starting a bare bones rebuild on this machine...

HP Recommended

We have these issues as well, but on a ZBook 15 G3 Windows 10 (64-bit) using the "HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 Dock / HP ZBook Thunderbolt 3 Dock".

Great stuff.

I did not notice these issues before I turned off the Thunderbolt security, but that might have been coincidental.

The same unknown device, dock suddenly dying etc. Funny thing is I don't remember this unkown device from my earlier imaging tests, it seems to have popped up along the way.

Today the mouse dissapeared. I tried connecting a USB mouse, but it didn't help. (and no, the touchpad was not deactivated).

Another thing is that when the dock dies it seems to mess up something in the OS as well.. When I try to restart or shut down it will take windows 5-10 minutes before Windows turns off, and this is even if I disconnect the dock.

*shrugs*

As it stands right now we will probably not switch out our ZBook G2's with this model.

HP Recommended

Same issues here too. Zbook 17 G3, Windows 10.

Same machine and dock works with windows 7.

Waiting for a solution

HP Recommended

Hey, have the same issues with the USB stutter, monitors and network are working flawlessly.

Zbook Studio G3 with i7-6820HQ, 32GB ram.

BIOS Version/Date HP N82 Ver. 01.08, 2016-05-09

4K internal monitor, HP Z34C and a Dell U2410, problems persist even if I connect the Keyboard (HP KBAR211) and Mouse (Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0) to the laptop as long as the dock is connected.

Tested a HP x2 1012 with the same dock and as far as I can tell it does not have the same problems.

HP Recommended

I've also tested the docks with a different system with no issues. Which leads me to believe it's not a dock problem but a laptop problem. 

though the laptop was a msi ghost pro, it worked just fine through a standard thunderbolt cable. 

HP Recommended

@RobertWhitten87 wrote:

I've also tested the docks with a different system with no issues. Which leads me to believe it's not a dock problem but a laptop problem. 

I believe you are mistaken in your conclusion. I have (so far) not been able to reproduce this issue on Windows 7, maybe that is the OS you are also testing on?

Or perhaps there is some kind of driver combination on Windows 10 that creates the problems.

HP Recommended
All of my HP zbooks, are in Windows 7 except for one that I used to test windows 10. All have been fully updated with HP softpak but have this issue with the dock. The issue didn't show up right off the bat but a few weeks after install but hasn't fully gone away. A few things made it seem like it was fixed but after testing and using the system it came back on Windows 10 and windows 7. It seems to be mainly effected when the system is using a fair amount of power not just sitting idle.
HP Recommended

I'm going to add this to the discussion:

I recently received a support alert/driver notificaiton email that included

HP Elite USB-C Docking Station Driver (ver 7.9.1589.0 Rev.A)

Products: HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation

Description: This is the driver for the HP Elite USB-C Docking Station. This package provides video, audio, and network drivers. This package is available for supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

It's SP76236 by the way.

So, I installed it, rebooted, tried the docking station yet again, and had the same issues I've had before - unknown device (which is Port #0001 Hub #0001) shows in device manager, and all of my USB ports become unable to connect/disconnect.  After this happens, my next several reboots or shut downs all "stall" after windows closes down (the keyboard backlight and power button never shut off until I manually shut them off), and I encounter several times where the computer, when I power it on, will not POST and will immediately start the fan running on HIGH.  I'll press the power button to shut it off, then press again to start and it will then start to POST about 50% of the time (the other 50% requires two of these manual power off, manual power on cycles).  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.