RonGE
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Zbook 17 G3 battery is very slow to charge

HP Recommended
HP Zbook 17 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My new, 2week old HP Zbook 17 G3 workstation battery charges very,very slowly. First time I used it on battery ( had it 3 days at that stage) it ran down to 56%, I then plugged in to power, but would not show as charging on battery indicator. It was shut down then for the night. At next boot up indicator showed as charging but still on 56%. After 3 hours it reached 71% then shut down. Next boot up and again 3hours later it reached 88%. I ran it on battery again for 2 hours, then back to power for about 6hours, it had then reached 94% before shut down. Now after 1 week of testing battery this way, it has finally fully charged. According to HP Support Assistant the battery is not one that is on the list of recall. Is this normal for a G3 or is it a junk item.

3 REPLIES 3
Cheyenne4
Level 4
96 88 8 18
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is very important to initially and fully  charge a notebook  for 24 hours prior to first turn on.  Many users neglegt this importanr step in their haste to use their new device.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
RonGE
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Perhaps I did not explain clearly. The Zbook had been in use ON POWER for several days, the battery was fully charged, it was then operated on BATTERY POWER for a few hours. When the battery was at 56% it was reconnected to Power. The Charging light was not showing ON, it stayed this way until it was turned off 3 hours later. The next day, after boot up the charging light was ON, but several hours later the battery was at 71%. It was not fully charged until 4days later. It does not appear to charge much while the computer is in use.  I have also a Zbook 17 G2 which charges very fast, far faster than this G3 model. I am sure there is a problem but thought to ask here first. I also note another poster has a Zbook 17 G3 that does not charge at all, so ther is obviously something not right with this model. It is not as good as the G2 that's for sure.

RonGE
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It would seem from the lack of replies that, (a) noone has a answer to this problem. or. (b) the answer is to difficult, put it in the too hard basket. I came here for help as this forum is supposed to be run by HP experts. I seem to have been misinformed. A shame when a supposed top of the line computer, less than 1month old that should be 100% working order straight out of the box, and is not, and no 'expert' can offer a solution.

@Cheyenne4wrote:

It is very important to initially and fully  charge a notebook  for 24 hours prior to first turn on.  Many users neglegt this importanr step in their haste to use their new device.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation