Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
Linux

TL; DR--Zbook running CentOS with built-in (i.e., non-removable) battery will not power on after repeated attempts, button-pressing sequences, and key combinations.

Hello!

My Zbook 17 G3 lost power in an interesting way--I was using a 200w brick (HP manufactured) and a 17.4 mm to 4.5 mm DC adapter dongle.  A small child and/or robot vacuum disconnected the power, but the dongle remained plugged in while the battery drained completely.  At the time of power loss, the machine was running the latest supported CentOS 7 linux kernel with all the default hardware drivers (except for the NVIDIA drivers, which I installed manually using the NVIDIA-provided packages).  Also, in case this makes a difference, I had disabled the "suspend on lid close" functionality by setting the HandleLidSwitch=ignore flag in /etc/systemd/logind.conf.

I've been unable to re-start the machine since it lost power.  I've attempted each of the following, multiple times:

1. Press power button

2. Hold power button for 2-3 seconds, then release

3. Hold power button for 15-20 seconds, then release

4. Plug in machine to power using 200w adapter (verify power LED lights) and attempt to charge for 30 mins - 12 hours, then attempt 1-3.

5. Plug in machine to power using 240w adapter (verify power LED lights) and attempt to charge for 30 mins - 12 hours, then attempt 1-3.

6. Press and hold "Windows" key + "B" key (also tried "Windows + V"), press power button for 2-3 seconds (also tried 15-20 seconds), continue to hold "Windows + B" until beeping and/or BIOS screen displays--but no beeps/BIOS screen ever occurs.

NOTE: (6) was suggested here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-zBook-15-G3-won-t-boot-up/td-p/6724681

7. Sacrificed a chicken and prayed to the hardware gods.

None of these solutions worked.  The laptop shows no signs of life, other than:

(1) When plugged in, a solid white power LED indicator (right next to the 4.5 mm power connection)

(2) When plugged in using 200w adapter, a flashing white power symbol on the power button.  (this flashing light does not occur when using the 240w adapter)

Please help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.