Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After 18 months of getting the dock to fully function see (Thunderbolt Dock 3 stability issues), even the USB ports work.  I now have an issue where the PC freezes and has to be hard reset by holding the power button down until it does.  Occurs docked or undocked.  One time it froze with one of my 2x4K Samsung monitors still on, the other off.  Most of the time I come back to my office with blank displays, but no amount of mouse wiggling or key presses will wake it up.  The interesting thing is that the display is not fully asleep as normal during sleep mode, but has a faint glow.  Most often on display 1, but sometimes the faint glow is present on both displays.

All my drivers are up to the latest, including the BIOS at 1.19, and the NVDIA driver is the latest available from NVDIA.  The latest posted on HP's driver list caused my machine to blue screen regularly.

Editorial Comment:  I liken this PC to the Compaq 610 I was provided as an employee right after the Compaq merger.  We referred to it as an antiproductivity tool.  Fortunately I did not have to endure 18 months of agony with it.  I'm ready to take my Kimber & put a 45 slug through this thing.  Hate to sell it to an unsuspecting victim.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I should have included the NVIDIA driver version I am running is 385.73 and I am on windows 10 version 1709.

This evening display one woke up with an orange screen when I hit the space bar, no display two, no waking the PC.  Hard reset again.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution? I have re-imaged my laptop and still get the same error. I have run the internal extended check for hours and cannot reproduce the freeze in those circumstances.

HP Recommended

I do have a resolution, but it was expensive & does not include an HP product or HP support.  I bought a Macbook Pro plus a thunderbolt 3 dock for it.  I run windows via parallels for programs I prefer the windows version.  My experience is that windows run better in this scenerio anyway.

I will tell you that I have not had a freeze on this system as just a laptop (nothing attached except a logitech wireless mouse) for a week.  I do not have email or anything running, but do have an adobe document open so I can tell if it reboots. 

I do have a very noisy fan, but otherwise it appears w/o a dock it might be stable.  If I can find some space I may attempt to drive a couple of 4K monitors with 2 TB3 to DP dongles that I have.

HP Recommended

I had this problem right after I got my battery replaced in the HP Battery Recall and Replacement Program 2018. After putting the laptop into Sleep, pressing the power button didn't do anything except make the black screen brighten up a little and if I moved my mouse, a static-like striped pattern would appear on my screen. 

After trying numerous solutions (including updating all the display drivers, battery drivers and BIOS), I managed to solve the issue by downgrading my Intel HD Graphics 530 driver from the August 2017 version to 21.20.16.4550 which is the Nov 2016 version. 

I must say that I have had previous intermittent issues early last year with my display where it went black and started flickering. I had the laptop checked by HP Technicians and they even replaced the screen but the problem still persisted until it simply disappeared one day. I assumed that a driver update somewhere fixed the problem. Such a disappointment for a laptop which was supposed to be for Commercial users. 

HP Recommended

I ended up downloading the drivers from NVIDIA for the discreet graphics card and it seem to have solved the issue.

HP Recommended

I haven't checked recently for new drivers from NVIDIA, but I also had downloaded driver version 385.73 as no version from the HP website would allow proper video through the dock.  I have my Zbook undocked now, no external monitors, and am still having some system resets and graphics issues.  I did this partially to determine if the dock was at fault or the system.  It appears the dock exacerbates the issues, but I am still seeing issues without it. 

HP Recommended

I had the same issue and solved it by updating the ATI 530 driver with the last version of march 2018

HP Recommended

Yeah this still happens to me on my G3. So annoying when I have to reboot my machine. HP refuses to acknowledge the issue. G3s were the main reason we bought 100k worth of Dells when we refreshed our laptops. HP is garbage, and their support is too.

HP Recommended

As a former HP employee & now an IT Director, I had planned to change the existing platform from Lenovo to HP.  However, my experience with this particular laptop, the lack of HPs acknowledgment (support) of this being a lemon, and the fact that the Lenovo thunderbolt 3 docking solutions work has led me to stay the course. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.