Firechief2521
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

cracked case

HP Recommended
HP 15 TouchSmart Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have a HP 15 TouchSmart Notebook PC PNunber  F5Y20UA#ABA  SNumber [edit]  and my case cracked from opening and closeing the lid this is letting the power cord recepectal on the PC to move around in side the case and I am afraid it will short out something Inside it and I will loose all my files can you s3end me a case or tell me somewhere I can go to get this fixed.  

1 REPLY 1
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unless you have any warranty remaining, HP will not repair the device for you. Indeed, this may well be regarded as accidental damage and outside the terms of any warranty (other than accidental damage cover if you have it) unless there is a good reason to believe the breakage happened due to a quality issue.

If you have any cover left on the laptop, talk to HP Customer Care about whether the situation is covered.

If not, there is no such part as "a case". The casing of the laptop is made up of several parts - a display enclosure, a display bezel, a pair of hinges, the top cover of the main unit (which includes the keyboard) and a base enclosure. Full details of these parts together with repair instructions can be found in the Maintenance and Service Guide. I think it extremely unlikely that HP will send you all these parts free of charge - if you want parts, you'll need to buy them directly from HP (if they sell parts directly in your country) or from one of their parts resellers. Be aware that replacing some of these parts involves very extensive dismantling of the computer.

The good news is that, on this model, the power connector is mounted on a separate circuit board and is connected to the system board by a cable. The loose power connector might only be this board being loose within the damaged case, though there is no way to know for certain without opening the laptop. This is good news on two scores; on most laptops a loose power connector indicates possible system board damage, also I believe HP are amongst the manufacturers that do not sell system boards to the public but only make them available to authorised service centres. Certainly a small circuit board with a power connector is much cheaper than having a system board repaired or replaced.

Unless you have cover or insurance that will allow you to get the system repaired at no cost (or an insurance policy excess), you will have to weigh up whether this damage is worth repairing. This is a budget laptop that is 3-4 years old. It would not take much for the cost of repairs to exceed the current value of the computer in fully working condition, especially if you are having to pay for labour as well as parts. Certainly, I would consider the pros and cons of all the options you can afford before making a decision; it would not seem sensible to spend $150 repairing a laptop if there are equivalent or better laptops available second hand for $100, or you can afford a new $500 laptop which would represent a worthwhile upgrade over what you have and would come with a new battery and full warranty.

Any time you have data on a laptop that you cannot afford to lose, you should have at least one backup. You never known when a drive will fail or your laptop is either stolen or damaged beyond repair. This can be as simple as an external hard drive and backup software - wihch may come free with the drive, or you can use the free edition of Macrium Reflect (I use the paid edition of Macrium Reflect, but if the feature set of the free version is sufficient for your needs then you cannot beat the price!).

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation