Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 430 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

My fn key is locked on, meaning I can no longer use the action functions of my top row of keys. For instance, I can't adjust my screen brightness or volume with a single key anymore; I need to press fn and the f-key together. I'm not sure how this happened (possibly my toddler did it), but it's stuck that way. Here's what my keyboard looks like:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 22.20.51.jpeg

I've looked all over to find how to fix this. On this site - https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108 - there are instructions for a number of models, but not my specific one: an HP Probook 430 G6. I've tried following the instructions on that page that suggest holding down fn lock and fn together, but it hasn't worked. I've also tried the second set of instructions on that page - going into the BIOS menu upon startup - but my Advanced -> System Options menu doesn't have an option called "Launch Hotkeys without fn keypress". Here's a picture of what I see in my BIOS thing:

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 22.20.51 (1).jpeg

I tried unclicking "Special keys mapped to Fn + keypress", but that didn't work, so I went back and clicked it again.

If anyone can please tell me what I ought to do, I'd be very grateful. It seems like a problem that should be solvable in a really simple way, and instead I've spent all evening on it to no avail! 😞  Please bear in mind I'm not at all techie (never heard of the BIOS menu until tonight), so I'm hoping for some pretty idiot-proof instructions.

Thank you!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi again,

Want to hear something funny? Right after posting this (i.e., right after setting up an account with this site, taking the photos in my post, writing out my situation, working out what the error was that I had to fix before my post could go up, etc.), I solved the problem.

The reading public will want to know how I did this, so here it is: I pressed fn and fn lock (the left shift key) together.

"But didn't you try this before?" you'll ask. "You said in your original post that you'd tried it before."

Yes, I had tried it before, but I'd always pressed those two keys at the exact same time, rather than pressing fn a fraction of a second before the shift key. And apparently that makes all the difference. Who knew? (Actually, I'm guessing quite a lot of you knew since you're the type of people who hang out on HP message boards for pleasure, but I tell you it was news to me!)

Thanks to anyone who was going to reply with this info. May I never have another computer problem as long as I live.

Much love,

Dave of Glasgow

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.