Panosfg Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

how reset bios password

HP ProBook 640 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I forgot my bios password. I think i cannot update bios anymore because in the windows tool shows me that when rebbots it will ask me my password. how can reset bios password.

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
7570 605 2658
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post

how reset bios password

Hello @Panosfg

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

You have posted in the Business section for business class devices. If your PC is Elitebook or Probook (business class device) you should note that most business class notebooks (including yours Elitebook and Probook) have better security. You will have to contact HP  Business Support for assistance on removing the passwordIf your HP computer is a consumer home class device, the password could usually be removed with forum assistance

Here is how to reach HP

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. Assistance for such problems is usually free of charge for business class devices.

BIOS update >> personally, I do not recommend you do it unless you experience some issues with your existing BIOS and you are sure that the new BIOS will fix it.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you face any issues.

**** It would be great if you use the THUMB-UP+ button below for encouragement, likes and kudos
**** Please, hit the button to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
83 3 8
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post

how reset bios password

Press f1 during power on -> You can get UUID number. Provide the UUID number to oHP . They might be able to send SMC.bin file to reset the BIOS admin password.

Contact hp at :https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation