cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jawad261
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

insert your window installation or recovery media ...

HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-u493cl (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello 

i have HP ENVY x360 - 15-u493cl (ENERGY STAR) laptop with windows 10 64 bit i noticed from last few days my laptop is working very slow like i have 12 gb Ram ddr3 but it doesn't work like i7 system so i thought to reset it to factory setting but when i try to reset it. it shows an error that "insert your window installation or recovery media , and restart your pc with media " i don't know why it's shwoing this because i have been reset this laptop before and it worked. now please suggest me something to get rid of this error and reset my laptop to get better performance Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can make Windows 10 installation media using Microsoft's Windows Media Creation Tool (click).

0 Kudos
jawad261
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello David Thanks for your reply but will i loose my all data ?? and do i need bootable usb for installation ?

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should be offered an option to retain your data. However, I would not rely on that option, not least because if something goes wrong with the reset you might be left with a device that will not boot until you reformat and reinstall. There is also no guarantee that user data will be left intact if it is stored outside the per-user default locations for Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos.

I would only proceed with a reset when you have made at least one backup of all your data and have tested that you can recover files from that backup. You should have a backup of everything anyway; there is always a risk that a drive will fail or the device be stolen. I have had success with Macrium Reflect - I use a paid for edition, but there is a free edition with a more limited feature set.

0 Kudos
jawad261
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!

sorry i am replaying late i was busy in some other work and Thanks for your kind reply but i watched a tutorial on youttube that is teaching how to reset windows 10 with usb so can you please tell me if i follow this tutorial will this work as windows reset or it will remove all defualt and user installed softwares ??? 

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From what I recall, you get the option to retain or remove your software. If you're going to reset, removing all software is perhaps the better option as reinstalling it might straighten out some additional issues, but it is more work.

I urge you to take my earlier suggestion to heart. Any time you go through one of these reset procedures, there is a risk that the system will not boot and that you will have to reformat and reinstall. It is important to back up all data on the system you care about and test that you can retrieve files from that backup before proceeding. I know it takes time and it might have some cost attached if you need to buy an external hard disk, but your data is irreplaceable.

I wonder if you're expecting too much of this reset. Have you attempted to diagnose what is wrong with your system with the help of the Task Manager in Windows? If the Windows installation is fine and the issue lies elsewhere then you are probably wasting time resetting Windows. A reset isn't a magic fix for everything.

0 Kudos
Ken1943
Level 4
88 62 4 7
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can only get 1803 Win 10. If that is what you had, you can run setup.exe from the installation media which will repair

Win 10 without losing any  data. Been there, done that a few times !!

DO NOT BOOT FROM THE MEDIA

KenW
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation