Wayne2760p
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

location pins

HP Recommended
hp Elitebook 2760p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to find replacement parts that locate the screen and mount in the cover plate, thes are two locating posts that help to stop the screen rotating when it is closed on an elitebook 2760p tablet, does any one know where i can get them and how easy they are to fit

8 REPLIES 8
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,568 8,034
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Wayne2760p

Can you post a picture of what you need???

REO

0 Kudos
Wayne2760p
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DSC00696r.JPGDSC00697r.JPGDSC00698r.JPG

0 Kudos
Wayne2760p
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

pictures added

0 Kudos
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,568 8,034
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Wayne2760p

There is no separate part number for them.

And they are difficult to remove in one piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/649768-001-D1-HP-2760P-TOP-COVER-MINOR-SCRATCHES/132424010976?hash=item1ed5...

HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC - FRU Remove/Replace Videos

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5071191&MEID=30D439C7-2049-4B74-B564-0FA928BF9B65

REO

0 Kudos
Wayne2760p
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how disappointing, it looks like a significant amount of work to replace them with a lot of oppertunites to do some serious damage. I think they have just got brittle over time and as a consequence broke. I have fixed them once with super glue but that is only good for so long.

Its a shame they cannot be popped out and replaced easily. Thank you for the top cover details but the shipping costs are somewhat inhibitive so i guess its anothe round of glue.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Device manufacturers have moved away from the 'twist and fold' style of convertible, like your Elitebook, to the 'fold 360 degree' style, like the current HP x360 devices. I had a 2010 vintage Dell Latitude XT2 that was 'twist and fold' and it suffered a similar failure to your Elitebook; the rubber parts (analogous to the 'location pins' on your Elitebook) that were supposed to stop the screen from twisting when it was closed failed after a while. The newer x360 style devices are more robust in my experience.

It is unfortunate that the repair on your Elitebook involves such extensive dismantling. Because laptops are built 'top down', changing the top cover typically involves taking the whole base section to pieces; this is not a problem unique to your Elitebook.

0 Kudos
Wayne2760p
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

as there is a mechanical catch as well I think i will try and rebuild the pins, can't help it the engineer in me wants to solve it without going to the trouble of a complete dismantle and now i know the top is a casting it gives me a bit more scope.

my biggest concern with changing the top cover is the risk of damaging the ribbon cables, looking at the dismantling instructions this would be the riskiest part. the build is a bit of a surprise as the keyboard comes out fairly straight forward and it seems to be more of a sandwich than top down if you look at the videos referenced earlier.

as it has a fairly modern processor and build i would like to keep it going a bit longer.

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I wish you all the best with your rebuild. The Dell I had had no mechanical catch, other than the limit stops on the hinge which allowed the screen to turn a little beyond the desired position.

That Dell has now been retired to a secondary role because I had reached its limits: a 128GB SSD in a non-standard form factor which was impossible to upgrade, it was maxed out with 5GB of RAM, the battery failed completely and there were no drivers for key components for Windows 8.1 or 10 so the machine could not be upgraded beyond Windows 7. The hardware was tired and my needs outgrew it.

I think we take the same approach - it is worth persevering with IT hardware until it no longer meets your requirements or suffers hardware failure that cannot be economically repaired. I feel it is a waste of money to upgrade merely to have something newer - I'm the guy that kept my mobile phone for around 3.5 years long before that was fashionable, because I didn't see the point of changing phone merely to have something newer.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation