Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G5 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP community

One morning I found myself locked out of my EliteBook 850 G5 when at power-on the Power-On Authentication security feature I have did not recognize my simple 4 characters numerical password I was using for many months before that.

I was using 'Power-On Authentication' and 'One Step logon' features and you can see below for exemplification, a screen capture  of the Security Features taken from the Internet, with the mention that in my case it was the second feature checked, not Windows Logon but Power-On Authentication.

Security Features screen.jpeg

I want to specify clearly that I did not change my BIOS settings a day before being locked out. I did not change security settings. I did not do any windows reinstall or upgrade. I did not configure a fingerprint or did anything voluntarily to cause this.

I simply found my password, the same one I always use, is not being taken. I tried to use an USB keyboard too, in case my notebook keyboard is faulty - same result.

I refuse to take this conclusions here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Power-on-authentication-and-bios-cannot-acces...

Policy appears to be from march 2019, while I purchased the notebook a year before.

There was no disclaimer that the BIOS Security Features fail occasionally locking you of your expensive EliteBook laptop.

I feel robbed by my trust in EliteBook premium product series and most of all in HP as a company. 

I also feel robbed by my money. Do I need to say that this NoteBook came with a 3 years warranty and I have 18 months left?!

What can I do? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.