3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my 850 G5 locked me out one morning

EliteBook 850 G5 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP community

One morning I found myself locked out of my EliteBook 850 G5 when at power-on the Power-On Authentication security feature I have did not recognize my simple 4 characters numerical password I was using for many months before that.

I was using 'Power-On Authentication' and 'One Step logon' features and you can see below for exemplification, a screen capture  of the Security Features taken from the Internet, with the mention that in my case it was the second feature checked, not Windows Logon but Power-On Authentication.

Security Features screen.jpeg

I want to specify clearly that I did not change my BIOS settings a day before being locked out. I did not change security settings. I did not do any windows reinstall or upgrade. I did not configure a fingerprint or did anything voluntarily to cause this.

I simply found my password, the same one I always use, is not being taken. I tried to use an USB keyboard too, in case my notebook keyboard is faulty - same result.

I refuse to take this conclusions here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Power-on-authentication-and-bios-cannot-acces...

Policy appears to be from march 2019, while I purchased the notebook a year before.

There was no disclaimer that the BIOS Security Features fail occasionally locking you of your expensive EliteBook laptop.

I feel robbed by my trust in EliteBook premium product series and most of all in HP as a company. 

I also feel robbed by my money. Do I need to say that this NoteBook came with a 3 years warranty and I have 18 months left?!

What can I do? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation